Snell Acoustics Type C Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $1800.00

Submitted by KEN GAWLER a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I HAVE OWNED MY SNELL C SPEAKERS FOR 12 YEARS. THEY NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME. WITH THE RIGHT PROGRAM MATERIAL THET ARE OUTRAGEOUSLY IMPRESSIVE. THEY SEEM TO NEED ALOT OF SPACE TO REALLY COME ALIVE;AND I BELIEVE PROGRAM MATERIAL IS VERY IMPORTANT. THE PRICE PAID WAS A TERRIFIC BARGAIN CONSIDERING THESE SPEAKERS CAPABILITIES.I COULD NEVER IMAGINE MY LISTENING ROOM WITHOUT THEM!

Price Paid:    $1990.00

Purchased At:   AUDIO ALTERNATIVE

Submitted by Terry Roth a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had the Snell type C's for more than 10 years, and have never felt I needed to upgrade. Had big Magneplanars before them, and could not live with the too-tightly focused sweet spot. (Used the Maggies with the big bass panels, but the room was a little small (12x18) for them). I drive the Snells with an Amber 70 amp from a PS Audio 4.5. The Amber puts a little over 100 watts into the speakers, which is on the shy side for concert volume with full orchestra/chorus, but more than adequate for chamber music and jazz. I suppose I could look for an amp with more power, but the Amber is a very lovely-sounding solid-state amp, albeit there is a tiny bit of hum present which is masked by music at regular listening level.

The sound is extremely well balanced, from about 30 hz to 15khz or so (at 57 I no longer hear much above that), and the soundstage has a decent front-to-back spread, and better than average width. The Snells are not very sensitive, tho. I had to have the bass (10 inch) driver on one speaker re-coned (the foam surround was disintegrating) and one of the 4inch midrange drivers failed after 7 years.

I paid about 1800 for these back in the last 1980's, and they have been worth every penny. I have never bi-amped, but bi-wire with Monster and Kimber cables (Monster for bass, Kimber for treble drivers)

Submitted by S a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
I love my Snell C-IV's, great bang for the buck. They do need a large room which I have and pleanty of power. Two Hundred Watts minimum, the more the better. Biamping also helped the sound a bit. I did turn off the rear tweeter, my room was is bit bright.