Snell Acoustics E IV Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Kjetil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought my pair E4 i 1996 - after one and a half years of searching in numerous hifi shops around norway. . In the final round, i had to choose between SNELL E4 and KLIPSCH KG 4.5. Different speakers who cost (then) about 8000 NOK (about $1500). But i liked them both. In the end i bought E4 - which i've faithfull to ever since. They have a sound whitch i love very much. Neutral deep bass, neutral/a bit warm midrange and detailed/seet tweeter sound... doesent matter what i play. Judas Priest, ultravox, slayer, pink Floyd, Neil Young, classical Music, Black Sabbath, Kyuss, accoustic. - everthing goes Down very vell. Never ever have i experienced listening fatigue. Two years ago, i had to re-foam the woofers, so i'll guess they will last another 15-20 years. I have a Rega Planar 3 With grado prestige black pick up, yaquin mm phono pre amp and /from july 2013)Music angel kt 88 tube amp (the last 17 years i,ve used a Electrocompaniet ec1, but that amp i now use With PSB Image T6 -in my living room - but thats a different story ;-) ) - a sweet hifi set up!

Submitted by Bill a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I pretty much agree with what others have said here with a couple of additions.

When played VERY LOUD, it sounds crowded, like there isn't enough room to get all of the sound out of the box. I generally don't play things VERY LOUD very often, so it's not an issue to me.

With lesser gear, they can sound bright.

Overall, this is an excellent product, and on the used market, it's a steal!

Submitted by gene a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have these black beauties for several years......they are made as beautiful as they sound...I have them matched with Snell's cc1 center channel ...they handle the most demanding music and soundtracks with ease....I use a B&K ref 20 and 5 channel amp .......STEREO REVIEW once wrote a few years ago " I never met a Snell I didn't like"...I agree 100%

Submitted by Warren Gleich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
A very smooth accurate speaker. Remarkable bottom end for such a simple speaker. Live jazz recording come too life.

Submitted by Allan a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've owned the E IV for two years now and to my ears they are quite transparent and a joy to listen to. Jazz, rock, classical, R&B all kinds of music will sound quite nice too. I use to have the type J IV and they were also great. I've listened to all kinds of speakers with all kinds of equipment and all kinds of music, any Snell in your price range will make you happy, music wise at least. Now if I could only afford the type C's.............................

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile