Sherwood SP-180 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by David Nilles a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this back in '98 because I wanted some base to augment my Sony 27" KV27-V20 television. I noticed the local Fry's Electronics was having a sale on these at $80. When I arrived at the store the salesman tried to talk me into a >$200 Infinity sub, but I decided on this. It has performed wonderfully in the year and a half that I've owned it.

There is a phenomenal difference in the sound on television when this speaker is on. I have it connected straight to the audio out on the back of the television so the sub volume is linked to the normal television volume. I have never experienced the problem others note with its auto off feature--when listening at normal daytime volume. At late night volume levels the sub does shut off, but this is not a problem since my roommate would rather it be quiet anyway. I welcome the autooff feature as I don't want to have to reach in back for the switch when I'm done listening.

The subwoofer took some fiddling with the low pass filter and the volume to match my television speakers, but I now have it perfectly matched so that it doesn't draw attention to itself, and blends seamlessly in with the action.

Despite the fact that my Sony tv has the 'SRS deluxe sound' speaker system, there is no comparison to the addition of the sub. It makes a tremendous difference. I recommend everyone with a television purchase a subwoofer to go with it--even more importantly than stereo sound.

Submitted by chris r a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
For $160CND this is a great budget sub. This little unit pounds pretty hard. But a MAJOR flaw is the auto shut off. MAJOR pain in the ass when it shuts off during quiet spots in movies or music, this is unforgivable. This flaw is making me want to return it, its that bad of a design flaw! Who wants their sub turning off and on during movies?? Too bad it sounds good for the price.

Submitted by Thomas Broumas a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer from www.spidergear.com for 125 bucks, man what a good deal, this woofer really kicks arse, don't let the small size and wattage discurage you from buying it, it is really powerful, it is really a dramatic improvemnet over my floor standing speakers and i would recommend this woofer to anyone, there is ONE downside though, apparently a positve feature turns out being a little negative, it shuts off into standby mode when there is not a lot of power going to it, in other words when i am playing music at a low tone it will shut off until i turn it up again. but that is the only downside

Submitted by BRIAN BOHNENKAMP a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this baby for $92! Very solid bass for the money. I had a $160 Aiwa sub before this and the sherwood blows it away. I got it from ubid.com.