Rock Solid S100 Floorstanding Speakers

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by James V. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
Great sound! Little B&W brothers, but still with family taste... I bought them at an audio store closeout for an incredibly cheap price: two pairs of s100's, a Mirage FRx C-1 center channel and a Mirage FRx s10 Sub for $450 dlls.
When setup together, matched to a Marantz A/V SR4000 as both front and rear speakers, all the real sound came instantly. But a few months later, the Mirage sub was replaced to a new Paradigm PS-1000 sub... Then, the pro-sound came through ever since.
With the Pearl Harbor's airport bombing scene, it sounded like the bombing was taking place at the front of my door; and the s100's stood still willing to impress even my neighbors... and they did! Now imagine the D-day scenes in Saving Private Ryan. Wow.
They're great with music, but mainly used as a home theater.
Always use the best speaker cables you can afford: it makes a huge difference!

Submitted by Bill Kelso a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are great little speakers. I got them custom installed by ListenUp about 4 years ago, but the speaker wire they used was garbage. Just this month I bought a new Marantz 19SRex receiver, so I decided I'd upgrade all the speaker cables in my system. What a difference! I used 45 ft. each of Monster Cable XP in wall cable with Monster flex pins. This may not be the best cable on the planet, but these speakers ROCK now. As other reviews have noted, the bass isn't the best, but there's no bass distortion, either. It just rolls off. Anyway, you don't buy these speakers for the bass, right?

Also, they are, like their name, incredibly "Solid". They are so well built. The attachment to the wall is completely transparent, and you can move them any which direction. If you can get a pair, go for it.

Purchased At:   ListenUp (retail store)

Submitted by Desmond Parfait a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a sort of sonic-mate to my B+W's.These two British companies sort of"touched pee-pees"with each other in designing speakers,and the sound of both products is similar as far as the uncolored,smooth delivery of sound goes.These will do well as rear surrounds for a B+W front array.The S-100 is a very unique product-I even consider them a collector's item now that they are discontinued(?).Sweet-little-babies that will amaze you,and even hold the power to please the eye.What a concept!(plus,I got them at almost $100 below retail...Thanks Star-Audio,and thanks B+W,I mean,Rock-Solid!

Purchased At:   Star-Audio-Video

Submitted by Sérgio Lopes a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
Now i realize that mass market speakers like sony, pioneer and others are crap compared to high-end speakers manufactured by B&W and others.These little speakers manufactured by Solid (B&W little brother) sound better than my much bigger Pioneers although they have much less bass. Bass is their weak spot but i guess they were designed to use with a sub, i can't wait to ear them with the Solid PB100, my next purchase. ;)

Submitted by Tony a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
Recently, I auditioned various speakers for a new Home Theater system including Polk, NHT, Bose, Infinity, and then I heard the Rock Solid HCM-1 Cinema Monitors. Their sound was tight, smooth, with good imaging. I felt they outperformed (qualitatively, to my tastes) the others. I listened to Music first (Rickie Lee Jones, Steely Dan, the Cranberries), then Cinema (Lost in Space, English Patient). I added the C100 Center and the PB100 Subwoofer. I now enjoy the setup immensely with my new Yamaha 2095 receiver.