Recoton WP445 Floorstanding Speakers

Wireless Stereo Speakers

Submitted by Andrew Keown a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
I just bought these speakers off of auction at ubid.com. I am a bit disappointed at how difficult it is to keep them sounding good. They take a lot of adjustment and repositioning to avoid hissing, weird clicking sounds, distortion, etc. I probably need to play around with them some more to get better sound, but I am a bit disappointed that they take so much work. It seems that every time I change the volume on the receiver, I have to adjuts the level control on the speaker transmitter to avoid nasty distortion. And they also randomly emit the crackling, clicking sound that I mentioned.HOWEVER, I did get these speakers for $43 plus $30 overnight shipping from ubid, so I can't exactly say that I regret my purchase. It is nice to have the extra sound in other rooms, and when they are properly situated and adjusted, the sound is not bad. Not good, but not bad. I just wish that sound didn't require constant fiddling with the controls.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Jerry Incollingo a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I just setup these wireless speakers last night and am satisfied with the performance. I recently purchased a Sony STR-DE935 and wanted to utilize the sub-room (2nd audio out) of the receiver so that I could watch my DVDs in Dolby Digital while my wife could listen to a CD in any other room of the house.
The frequency response is good, the highs a crisp, the bass isn't that great, but again, these aren't high end speakers. You have to play with the frequency to find the best setting with the least backgroung noise. You can hear hiss between CD audio tracks (when there is silence), but it's not noticable unless you're looking for it. They come with AC transformers, and will run of on 8 D cell batteries per speaker (ouch). Recoton also sells a rechargable cell for the speakers but I opted not to buy them. If your looking for a decent sounding speaker that you can put anywhere in the house without wiring then these speakers are a good choice for the refurbished price.

I purchased refurbished units from Recoton direct, http://www.recotondirect.com/cgi-bin/recotondirect.storefront, for $99, $107 total including shipping. Thet arrived in 4 business days.