QUADRAL Amun Floorstanding Speakers

4 way floor standing

Submitted by adrianvinta a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very clear and airy sound, quite sharp.

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Submitted by Alex van der Sluys a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have listened to many speakers, many of them so called ‘hi end, but in my opinion Amun speakers are perfect allrounders which are very precise and which can be played very loud if necessary. In my home video set I use them as front speakers in combination with B&W 602 S2 rear speakers and a B&W CC6 center, driven by the fantastic so many times rewarded Sony STR DB 930 Dolby Digital receiver and the famous, standard setting, Sony DVP 7700 player. The B&W’s do their job well, but the Amun is a much better performer. The bass comes in when needed. It is tight, strong with punch and quality, so it can easily shake your house if played with some well made movies (Matrix, Titanic, Mummy etc).

The midtone speaker and the tweeter (ribbon tweeter is sweet, precise, and superfast) are also excellent and much better (less harsh and sharp) than those of the mentioned speakers of B&W (including the 604 S2).
I use my Amuns also to play CD’s in plain 2 channel stereo in combination with the Harman Kardon Citation 22 and 23 amplifierset the Sony DVP 7700 and VD Hul CS 122 cables. The result of this is simply perfect. It can match so many overpriced hi end sets. In my opinion the Quadral company has made a high standard box with the Amun. Bravo!!

Submitted by Dominique Rode a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of used Quadral Amun MK V speakers a little over two years ago. The Mk V version is a 3-way floorstander with an 8“ woofer in a closed box. The Amun Mk V sold here in Germany for DEM 2200 (about US-$ 1100 at current rate) from 1992 to 1995. It was replaced by the 3 ½-way bass-reflex Amun Mk VI which was available until 1998.

Quadral (www.quadral.com) is a german manufacturer with a long traditon of large floorstanders with ribbon tweeters. The Amun is also equipped with a ribbon tweeter from the MK V version on.

Arriving at home with my speakers I had to learn that one of the ribbons‘ foils had some wrinkles. I measured the speakers and the tweeter‘s output was about 10 dB less than it should have been! So I removed the whole tweeter from the cabinet and opened it. The result: one of the magnets had changed its position though they were originally glued together. After repositioning the magnet the sound is ok again. By the way, a friend of mine who bought the speakers new had also problems with a damaged tweeter after using them for 4 years. Fortunately Quadral will send you a new tweeter for a moderate DEM 150 (US-$ 75).

Bass is controlled and goes pretty low with a –3dB point of 45...50 Hz which is really ok for a closed box. The one thing I like most are the highs which are detailed, clear and smooth as silk at the same time as they are with all well-made ribbons. I have had a pair of Infinity Modulus with ribbon tweeters before and will never return to dome tweeters.... These speakers are real all-rounders with no specific weaknesses.

The cabinet is very solid. I drilled some holes for spikes what improved bass performance a bit in my old flat. The only thing that might make me sell them again is what the Mk VI does better when it comes to looks: the Mk VI is a bit smaller and also taller (otherwise the Mk VI has a boomy bass due to woofers in a vented enclosure that’s too small...). I don‘t like speakers very much that have all their drivers below a sitting listeners ears. Also I would prefer having speakers in alder veneer instead of black for better matching with my living room. But probably I will not buy other speakers until these have lost their attraction to my daughter (18 months) or until she has lost her destructive energy on anything her daddy loves ....

I would give them 4.5 to 5 stars for sound quality alone, but 4 stars when also considering tweeter durability and looks (just my personal view). In general I would agree with german test magazines that judged the Amun Mk V as one of the best offers in their price area. Quadral and their fine tweeters deserve more popular interest!

Submitted by Emmanuel Seynaeve a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 1998

Bottom Line:
I own these speakers for almost 3 years now (full name : Quadral phonologuegold Amun - made in Germany, both enclosure and drivers).
I love these speakers. They sound very natural, warm and transparent, with
good imaging. Voice reproduction is outstanding (very important). The high is damn good, thanks to the ribbon tweeter. Bass is full, but clean (keep them away from room corners).
They deliver a rich, never boring sound, even at hours of listening. Classic, jazz, new age ... no problem.
This is really a speaker for the serious music listener (and lover). For house parties, there is a lot of other stuff on the market.
I have them bi-wired. It yields a cleaner sound. Particularly the ribbon tweeter
needs a quality speaker cable (I use 4mm2 oxigen-free twin cable at 2$/m for a
distance of 7m each).
Single wire also sounds fine with that kind of cable.
The Amun has acquired nice compliments in French and german magazines.
Now it's time to listen to Christmas music with those speakers.

Happy christmas !

Submitted by Nick Taylor a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1998

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Quadral Amun which are a 4 way floor standing speaker of about 60 litres,with ribbon tweeter.overall I found the sound to be rich and full yet giving good clarity, accuracy and intensity while also remaining fluid and smooth.
I tried bi-wiring which seemed to improve seperation but made the speaker
sound more forward in the midrange- maybe different cable would help-but really they sound fine as they are.
I would say that the Quadral Amun is a versatile speaker equally at home with a wide variety of music sources and styles.