PSB Speakers Century Subsonic 2i Floorstanding Speakers

4.25/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Graeme Woodhouse a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
While this was a nice sounding sub while it lasted, after 5 years of occational used the amp died. Since PSB wanted over $400 for a new plate amp I had it repaired at a local electronics shop. After replacing the mosfets and power transistors the amp worked for another two months then died again.
I will bring the sub back to life using an aftermarket plate amp from Parts Express that will give me a more powerful, more reliable amp at a fraction of the cost since the only support that PSB offered was to sell me a new expensive plate amp.

Submitted by gfult a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had this sub for just over 3 years now. Just last week it stopped working, so I replaced the blown fuse and plugged it back in and it blew that fuse. Turns out that the amp in the sub is hooped.

So it's either replace the amp for a considerable amount of money, or buy another sub from a different company. I think I'll take the latter as PSB's 1 year warranty is a joke. When your paying this much for a piece of equipment, it should last at least 5 years.

Sounds like the reviewer below me had the same problem, so this isn't just a isolated problem.

Check out other manufactures first. Although this was a great speaker, they do not last. Last time i ever buy a PSB product.

Purchased At:   Canada

Submitted by Raymond a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this subwoofer back in 1997 to complete my HT setup, which consists of all PSB speakers.

While the sub performed reasonably well for about a year, it went dead shortly after that, conveniently after my warranty expired. The sub was not used heavily at all. The crossover was set at 80 and the volume was calibrated using Video Essential, so I know I wasn't playing it too loud. Tried replacing the fuse, didn't work. Fixing it seems to involve replacing the AMP which is around $400. So I decided to forget it and just use my PSB 500.

While it worked, the sound was decent. If it didn't break, I would've given it a 4. Right now it is a $500 coffee table, and an ugly one at that. :) PSB may know how to make decent speakers, but they have NO clue on how to make reliable electronics.

Purchased At:   Reference Audio/Vide

Submitted by Robert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
Purchased this PSB sub as part of a complete, and very expensive, pro-logic system upgrade into Dolby Digital. My system consists of PSB 800i for mains and a 200ci center. I use Definitive Tech Bi-Polar surrounds.

This is a very good sub. It features a lot of hook-up options, probably more than you will ever need. It takes some time to get it adjusted, as one has to iterate on crossover frequency, phase, and sub volume as well as the sub's position. I use my receiver's pre-outs to connect to the sub. I was able to get the sub, just barely, into my entertainment center. That way I have as clean of looking room as I can have. So it took me some extra time to get it setup, as this isn't its ideal location.

Once I dialed it in with Video Essentials and the iterations explained above, it blends in quite well with my other speakers. I just watched "End of Days" on DVD in 5.1. Man did it give my sub a workout...and it sounded excellent. Well defined and quite able to keep up with the explosions on screen.

I was able to get this sub for $299 plus shipping in a closeout deal. Nothing in that price range comes close. To bad the Century line of PSB's are closed out, although you can still find the 2i's on sale at a few places on the web. An excellent sub at any price.

Submitted by Ray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
Only sub I've seen that provides a high-level /
high pass filter. Taking the lows out of the
signal to my main speakers really lets them shine.

Phase/level/crossover adjustments were simple. I
like the fact that it can be mounted in multiple
configurations. Very smooth crossover to my
Cambridge Soundworks main speakers.

If only it came in some other color than black...
I'll probably cover it in cherry veneer or some
such.