PSB Speakers Century 600i Floorstanding Speakers

4.42/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

two 6 1/2 in woofers; one 3/4 in dome tweeter

Submitted by Todd Chivers a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2013

Bottom Line:
I just bought PSB 600 speakers they may have 100 hours on them. 20.00
Since then I have rediscovered my love of music. I'm trying to Match a solid stereo
Receiver to them any suggestions. I have a yamaha 6.1 amp but
I want to purchase a 2 channel receiver.

Submitted by Mark Norman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had these for over 5 years now and I can honestly say I never get sick of listening to them, this is what started me on my PSB journey. Every speaker I own is a PSB speaker, because quite frankly I've yet to hear a speaker that pleased me more than these, I've had many hours in front of different Paradigm's and I just dont see the appeal, they do not sound nearly as transparent or centred as the PSB's, I've been pushing them with the same Yamaha reciever for 5 years as well, 55w a side, I've just recently upgraded to a new Yamaha RX-V596 (100w a side) and I was blown away again, It's like falling in love all over again. I couldn't recommend these speakers more.

Purchased At:   The Sony Store

Submitted by John Dean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers. I bought them as a bedroom system. I have psb Stratus Bronzes as a 2-channel livingroom system and polk Monitor 10B's (15 years old speakers)as a surround system in the playroom.
The psb century 600i play everything well. They are accurate and uncolored. The highs are crystal clear and can be mesmerizing. The mids are solid. The bass is satisfying and tight. The psb bronzes (which I also love) do more bass and can handle more power, but it is not necesserily better bass. The 600i's also look good with small footprint in cherry.
If I were headed to a third world country, I would take these instead of the psb bronzes,because they are smaller and equally as satisfying.
They have been replaced by the Image series and are real bargains at cloe out prices, but were under priced at original $600 cost. jnd

Purchased At:   DMC Electronics

Submitted by Enoch Gamoian a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers based upon the reviews I read here. Nobody closer than a four hour drive carried them. I was looking for accurate speakers that would function in an HDTV home theatre, but would stand up as outstanding monitors for a stereo system. I have four of these enclosures as well as the matching center channel. I also have a Kenwood SW-300 subwoofer. I am powering all of this with an Onkyo TX-DS575 receiver. My DVD is a Toshiba with progressive scan (sorry, I can't remember the model).

I've never been in a situation where money was no object, but I have never heard a better sounding set of speakers. Everything I put into them comes out dead-accurate. Unfortunately, crappy sounding recordings sound crappier than usual. CDs that were mastered with modest sound systems in mind sound that way.

Speaking of mastering, I recently mastered a CD of some of my original music (a mid-life crisis, I guess). The sound system in the studio used Mackie bi-amplified near-field monitors. I think my PSBs sound better.

I have been using them for about six months and I find them to be incredibly versatile. I recently watched "Immortal Beloved," which features a lot of Beethoven. The sound quality was amazing. My very young cousin visited a few weeks ago and I cranked up the system with Stone Temple Pilots. His ears are probably still ringing.

I know I took a rather foolish risk by purchasing speakers without hearing them first, but I couldn't be more delighted with the result. I paid around $900 for all five enclosures.

Submitted by Eric McBurney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I found something quite interesting about people who don't like PSB speakers in general. They are not Classical music fans. What they are looking for are speakers that will shake the furniture and rattle the windows. However, if you are a classical music fan, then I say that the 600i is one spectacular deal. I got mine for $375 ... and, frankly, am feeling like a criminal. It's amazing how realistic these little towers are when playing single instruments or smaller bands. The only weakness is in symphonies. Normally, I don't use the base adjustment on my preamp because I want the most natural sound, yet I find it necessary to do so for these speakers.