PSB Speakers Century 400i Floorstanding Speakers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

PSB Century 400i Bookshelf Speakers

Submitted by Ed Padden a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2013

Bottom Line:
Hello. I bought these speakers on Audiogon for less than $200 as I am slowly getting back into high end audio. They sounded pretty good but the highs were a little dark. I took the back connection plate off the back to revile a cheap 6.8uF capacitor on the tweeter that looked like it costs $.15. I replaced it with a decent poly cap (about $5 each) and wow, the highs opened right up. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS UPGRADE. It took me like 15 minutes per speaker. Made them sound new again. They're very open and never fatiguing to listen to. Awesome bass, too.

Submitted by R.D. O'Neal a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've now had time to break in my 400i's...They continue to sound better with time. Great image & tonal range for my budget HT system. Using primarily for stereo listening, but the babies do a great job with my DPL receiver.

I can't believe the amount of accurate sound produced from such a small box! I auditioned the mass retailers speakers only to find almost all sounded like shoe boxes. I did find a local Paradigm dealer & thought the Monitor 3's were comparable, but had somewhat larger footprint. I've replaced my old '70's speakers with a truly fine pair of speakers.
I recommend these for anyone...as fronts for the budget system or rears for the folks with money to spend on top of the line PSB's as fronts & center.
Stands are a must!
Caught a decent deal since the Image line is now shipping.

Submitted by Julio a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
I buy for of these speakers for my HT to go with a century 100ci (center) and century subsonic 31(Subwoofer), for the 1,100 i paid for these speakers i don´t think there's another system wich win outperform it, the sound is huge anthe images are well located, the effects is DD and DTS are incredible, for music it's impresive too (check the beatles yellow submarine DV it rocks)

Submitted by Nick a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just got these speakers two weeks ago and I am extremely happy with their performance. They are quite well built - very solid - you almost don't notice they have a cheesy fake wood vinyl exterior (all coverings like this are cheesy in my mind, and at this price point it is what one gets so I don't count it as a really bad thing). How do they sound? Suprisingly full for a 6-1/2 inch speaker. It seems as if they have opened up over the last week. They seem to handle just about everything with equal aplomb. I listen to music from jazz to classical to bass-heavy hip hop and everything sounds great. They also have a really warm tone. They play music exceptionally at low volumes as well. I got the pair for $249 plus another $45 for the stands from ReferenceAV, a great deal.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Phil a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
During the Summer of 1997 I started my audiophile education and decided to try and assemble a great system on a budget. I auditioned around 10 different speakers priced below $1000 from Vandersteen, B&W, NHT, Energy, and PSB. I have very eclectic tastes in music, so I needed versatility as well as value. After many listening sessions I discovered that warmth was an essential characteristic I desired as well as clarity, soundstaging and imaging. Big bass was not important. I settled on the PSB Century 400i's and have been very happy with them.
For my small listening room, the PSBs are great -- warm, detailed, inviting, and punchy with great imaging. I liked them better than the PSB 600i -- less bass but better clarity and imaging. Paid around $360 -- hard to beat that for the sound quality.

I give tham 5 stars since, in my opinion, the quailty/value ratio is very high. If you are looking for speakers under $1000 please givee these a listen.

Gear
------------------------------
Power Amp: used Audio Research VT60
Pre-Amp: NAD 712 (pre section only)
CD: Rega Planet