Professional Monitor Company LB-1 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by airdon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I upgarded LB1 classic to LB1 signature. PMC LB1signature sounds cleaner, more dynamic, and better soundstage. It worth the extra money for the signature model. It is still an outstanding bookshelf loudspeaker to make music live.

Submitted by ryder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
These were the LB1 Signatures which replaced the Classics.

The LB1's were the most neutral and clean speakers that I have ever come across. They virtually does not add or subtract anything from the music, reproducing music in a wholly truthful manner. Prior to getting the LB1's, I had a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Pianos and the B&W N805's. The Grand PIanos are very coloured speakers with a rolled off highs, and are a real pleasure to listen to with jazz and vocals. Since the Sonus Fabers are not neutral speakers, they don't do too well in pop and rock, and music that requires a lot of pace and rhythm. The B&W's are good all-rounders with an expansive sound but however was a little bumped up in the mids which gave them the 'signature' B&W house sound. I prefered the B&W's more than the Sonus Fabers. The PMC's neutrality have won me when being compared head to head with the N805's. In A/B comparison, the bass in the PMC's goes deeper and much tauter and precise, and sound of strings and guitars had more weight and body. Both were good in their own ways but I felt the PMC's neutral character was more suited to my music, and hence I bought the LB1's.

There weren't any huge audible differences between the LB1 Classics and Signature but I got the Sigs anyhow. I am currently driving these fabulous monitors with the Plinius SA-100Mk3 through a Sony XA7ES and was enthralled by the quality in these babies. I would be looking to replace the Sony with a Wadia 850 in near future and would reckon music would take to a greater height with a better source in tow.

Thoroughly recommended world-class mini-monitors that have gained international recognition in being used in some recording studios and in BBC.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by don a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Most people criticize the bass extension of their mini monitors. LB-1's bass goes really deep (40Hz) and well defined. The MAX SPL > 114dB. I can't believe the big sound produced by a transmission line loaded 110mm Dynaudio bass driver.
The midrange sounds accurate and open. A live band is playing beautiful music for me. A singer is singing in my room. When listing to classical music, I am sitting in the best seat of a music hall.
The highs is smooth and clean.(after 3 weeks break-in) The 3D soundage is good but not pin-point image.
LB-1 refuses to deliver a harsh, punchy, exciting sound. It gives you a faithful music. B&W, ProAc, Dynaudio impressed me at the first. After a long time nearfield listening, like classical LS3/5A or ATC, PMC is a best choice for music lovers. And also it plays very loud and accurate with a 250W Bryston power amp. Excellent product for professional and domestic usage.

Submitted by Ian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Fantastic speakers!!!
These stereophile recomended class B speakers are an undiscovered jewel. Very accurate with perfect mids and nice highs. Still its the bass that impressed me the most. When I started playing them I was explaining to my friend that all the lows and and tight deep bass he was hearing was coming from my sub, little did I remember that I had unplugged my sub the week before because I was running out outlets on my surge supressor. Anyway I was so impressed that I landed up selling my sub because I found that: A) these speakers did not need one and B) that they actually sounded better without one. Their bass is so quick and tight the sub sounded muddled and compromised by comparison. My room is small however and that is partially the reason why they have such good bass. In a larger room the bass would obviously sightly decrease. On female vocals these speakers are very good and can compete with anything under 5k in this particular area. These speakers also impress when playing both light and hard rock. Overall I now have two pairs of these speakers and I could not be happier. A very solid audio investment if I ever saw (or heard) one.

My system:
PMC LB1 Yew finish
PMC LB1 Black Ash Finish
Denon 1650 AR - CD Player
Severely upgraded B&K Reference 4420 amp
Nakamichi AV-8 - Surround processor/powers rear/center channels
Onkyo DV-717 - DVD player
TMC Yellow Label Interconnects
Monster Cable XP speaker wire - (will change very very soon)