ProAc Tablette 2000 Signature Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $1700.00

standmounter speaker,87dB,8 ohm

Submitted by Spare a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Before buying this masterpiece I listened to several other loudspeakers. I intended to buy a couple of "big ones" thinking the bigger the better. But none of the systems really appealed to me. They eiter sounded muffled, dull, extremely bassy etc.Then they demonstrated the ProAc 2000 Tablette Signature hoping to sell me at least a decent pair of loudspeakers. I would have never thought that such small speakers could sound so good! In comparison with the others the ProAc sounded very natural, without any coloration of the sound, no resonance abnormalities that the bigger speakers did have (you can sometimes hear the box it's made out of). Well, I decided to take them home and give them a try. Luckily the dealer advised to take a few good stands with it otherwise I might have returned them. I agree with the reviews above. You need a pair of high mass stands, and also placement of the set is vital. It should be placed a good 30 or 40 cm's of a wall, as recommended in the manual. Needless to say I kept them and I am extremely happy with them. I can see no drawbacks in this product. It has perfect sound and perfect finish as well. And of course you need a good amp to run them. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I now run them over a NAD T752 A/V receiver. I will not need anything else the next 15 years or so.

Purchased At:   Hifi Winkel Eindhove

Submitted by Bevan Young a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
After listening to many different brands of speakers, none really stood out and said 'take me!'
Being rather desperate for something I liked, I decided to try out this speaker with an integrated amp that I'd been eyeing up for a while (Plinius 8150).
Out of the box, the finish cried out 'eat me', and the quality of build was as good as they get.
Apparently the amp takes a few hours/days to warm up, and I had heard the speakers would take 3-6 months.
First day out, sound wasn't all that bad. Bass was as expected (rather dry and cold).
However, now that I've run them in for 4 months, they sound terrific. I mainly listen to jazz, vocals, classical, hip-hop, and trance. My system sounds a little too clinical (too precise) for the likes of my Snoop or Gatecrasher, but with the rest, it is the sound I like the best. I agree with many others, in that the treble and midrange is hard to beat. Some will complain about the bass, but I have not had that problem. This system runs in my bedroom which is about 5x5m. I have mounted them on large concrete blocks instead of stands till I can afford something more worthy (which is likely to cost a bundle for the best). My bedroom windows are the 'pane', as I am having trouble trying to stop them from rattling when the volume is at a reasonable level. Put on anything like Massive, and the whole top floor of the house rumbles. (Not quite as good as a coffee-table-sized sub though). So my bedroom doesn't need large speakers to produce bass. I find most systems at friends places are often too bassy for my likings. This speaker suits my bedroom perfectly.
Unfortunately, I have fallen for this arrangement, and can't see replacing any of these for a long time.
If you are spending this kind of money on speakers, I think you should consider. Do make sure you have enough power to run these though. My Plinius did more than enough. I don't know what these speakers sound like with other amps.

Purchased At:   Listening Post, Tokoroa, NZ

Submitted by zugswang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Running a Bryston 3B NRB, and fairly good (finally) digital front end, these small speakers have amazing mid and treble clarity. Better dynamics than I've heard elsewhere. I think that if others hear something weird, it's their equipment. These are not inherently bright or harsh in any way but can certainly reveal any of that in your equipment. But, the only note of warning is a less imposing bottom end. Although the Signatures beat out my current very old Infinity box speakers in almost every area, they are lacking in the kind of bass heft that really satifies. (Yes, *even* with jazz). The lack of a few deeper notes that I do hear through my Infinities is not the real caution here, it's more the affecting of overall balance. *BUT* these are really special for their ability to involve and engage you, for their open dynamic midrange, and Proacs are a must-hear for anyone who has never experienced them.

Submitted by Si Meng Lai a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Excellent value for hi-fi realm of enjoyment. My sense is that it is extremely compatible with valve amplification equipments. It's soundstaging realism is commendable and on the system I used, the speakers fade way from physical placement revealing a wide and deep soundstage.There is body and mass to the music it reproduces.
Highly recommended for music lovers who appreciate musicality and not analytical focus,who enjoys longer periods of relaxation without listener fatigue.

Submitted by Tony Lau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked a pair of ProAc Tablette 2000 Signature and the YBA Integre integrated amplifier to replace my stolen B&W Matrix 805 and Arcam Alpha 9. Since it took me almost two months to have the equipment replaced, I cannot compare the two combination directly.

The insurance company originally listed B&W Nautilus 805 and Arcam Alpha 9 as the replacement, but when I first heard the combination at HiFi Center in Vancouver, I found the new B&W a bit bright and forward for me. I am not sure if it was due to lack of break-in. Then I tried the ProAc Tablette 2000. It was quite a difference - very listenable and not bright at all. The next speaker was the ProAc Tablette 50 Signature. The 50 Signature, though lacking in bass compared with the 2000, was much more open and natural sounding, especially with vocal. The dealer told me it just ordered a pair of 2000 signature, so I decided to wait.

When the 2000 signature arrived, the 50 signature was already sold, so I could not compare them directly. Since the 50 signature is less expensive than the B&W Nautilus 805, I decided to switch to a better amplifier, the YBA Integre.

The 2000 signature combines the strengths of the 2000 and the 50 signature - i.e. very open and natural, with a satisfying amount of bass, though it doesn't go very deep. To me the speaker/amplifier combination seems to be able to convey the recording venue better than my old equipment. The combination ended up in my home.

The 2000 signature does very well with jazz and classical music, and even TV broadcast. However, you may find the bass to be somewhat lacking with big orchestral pieces or movie soundtrack. For example, in Jurassic Park, the scene in which the dinosaur foot steps cause ripples in a water puddle, you will not feel the vibration from this speaker; a subwoofer is definitely required.

For a few weeks, the YBA was returned for repair (a channel imbalance problem) so I borrowed my cousin's Sony ES pro-logic receiver. The sound from this combination was very different - bass became weaker, voices lacked warmth, and overall the sound was more fatiguing. So make sure you use good amplification with this speaker.