ProAc Response 2s Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)

2 way stand mount monitors

Submitted by Dale Launer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Some years back I wanted to replace my Vandersteen 2ci's with something a little more detailed and revealing. I brought home a lot of speakers and compared them all - Focal, AE, EPOS, Totem and some Proac Response 1's (I'll get to the 2s shortly). The Proacs were much better than the rest of the bunch - a sweet top end that was also detailed and fast - you usually get detail and speed, but not sweet, but this had it all - great imagining, decent bottom for the size (I remember the Totem's were much better in that regard) - I was running them with a stock pair of VTL 225's, and a VTL preamp (can't remember the model) - just delicious. I bought another pair for my vacation home. Later I ended up buying some Meridian DSP6000's for my main room, and the Proacs for the bedroom. I have to admit - if you take away the bass? The Proacs were the better speaker. But I missed the bass. I also like to crank it up, which you really can't do with these speakers. I blew out MANY woofers. It was getting expensive. So years later I bought a pair of used Proac 2s. Holy Schmoly! I got everything I liked about the 1's (which had upgraded to 1s, then 1sc), but the bass was pretty incredible. No, not incredibly deep, but they had a speed and clarity I just hadn't heard before. It had the snap of a horn system but without the ugliness and honkiness of a horn system (I would never own a horn system, but they do dynamics well - in a distored, hyped up unrealistic way, but...)

I am very happy. I will probably buy another pair, maybe two more (and replace my vacay home's 1's).

Someone on this board said the Proacs gave him a headache - I find that hard to believe. I used to be in the hifi biz, and I once turned down a job to review hifi gear - I know a nasty-sounding speaker and this ain't one of them! He maybe have been speaking about the Studio series (which I find to be a little hard) - and which I use as my hot tub speakers.

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by Kevin Wood a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow have these ugly old boxes changed my life I had given up hope of getting this much sound out of any speaker untill I found these in my dealers second hand section.
He fired them up and I was hooked but still wanted to try them on the end of my system as thing seldom sound as good back home. fearing my listening room may be to small I stuck em on the end of my musical fidelity A300 and A3 player and vowed I would kill if i had to take them back.
I am not able to put into words how all round or musicaly satisfying these speakers are but my Sonus Fabers are now a mugs eyefull for another buyer. Funny how my preconceptions of older speakers just got blown out the water, Proac got it right years ago in my not humble opinion.

Purchased At:   Lintone Audio

Submitted by Douglas Cannon a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
This was a wonderful speaker and I found that it responded well to small tweaks, always having more to reveal. I noticed that it sounded better as I moved it away from the wall. Ultimately, I decided that it was falling short for blues, jazz and rock so I added a REL Strata subwoofer, which I ran directly from the speaker output terminals on my Sonic Frontiers Anthem Amp-1. It made a world of difference, but I found that sometimes the mid-bass seemed punchy and out of phase in this setup.

Purchased At:   Soundex

Submitted by JACK1MAC C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
EVERY THING ABOUT THIS SPEAKER SAYS WONDERFUL.THE MIDRANGE,HI'S ARE PROVERBLY THE BEST YOU WILL GET OUT OF A SPEAKER THIS SIZE.IF VOCALS ,JAZZ,AND GUITAR ARE YOUR THING YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH THESE SPEAKERS.I FIND THE FUTHER IN TO THE ROOM YOU PLACE THESE SPEAKERS THE BETTER THEY SOUND.THEY SOUND GOOD WITH SOLID STATE.BUT THEY REALY OPEN UP WITH TUBES.THE SOUND STAGE HAS WIDTH,AND DEPTH.IF YOU AUDITION THEM WITH A CUT LIKE SARA K'S BRICK HOUSE THEY WILL BLOW YOU MIND.THE PERCUSSIONS ARE AMAZING.THE GROUP SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE RIGHT THERE.YOU ARE THERE.OVER THE YEARS I HAVE OWNED THESE SPEAKERS THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT PLEASE.I HAVE EXPERIENCED ABSOLUTLY NO PORT PROBLEMS.

ASS. EQUIPMENT
AUDIO RESEARCH LS3 PRE AMP, VAC80/80 TUBE AMP,ROTEL RCD 990 CD PLAYER . MIT SPK CABLES. AUDIOQUEST INTER.
ATLANTIC REF. STANDS SPEAKER ,AMP ,TARGET RACK,AUDIO IND. LINE CONDITIONER ,XLO POWER CORDS ,GERMAN POINTS FOR PRE AMP,CD PLAYER.

Submitted by Lee McLean a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Further to my previous review, I have sinced moved into a new listening room and the over-fullness around the port frequency has completely disappeared, as I expected it would. It's just a shame you can't buy these anymore!

P.S. That special quality of how real ProAcs sound outside the listening room (as mentioned in Jeff Jahnke's review of the Future Ones) applies here also.