Polk Audio RT600i Floorstanding Speakers

4.53/5 (49 Reviews) MSRP : $379.00

Designed for superior home theater and music performance, the RT600i raises the bar by delivering the audiophile sophistication, detail and accuracy of a floor-standing, wood finished speaker at a cost way below that of the lunatic fringe brands.

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these as mains for my fledgling home theater setup (in my dorm room) and also use them at home. Fortunately, I found these at a store-closing sale and got a great deal on them (1/2 off).

To the point:
These speakers impressed me. I like the great extension on their highs (27khz overall) and fairly low low-end. While not as commanding in the low end as I would now prefer, you can only expect so much from a 6.5" driver. I'm extremely happy, they match my CSi30, R10s, VTF-2, and Onkyo 484 extremely well.

The lows are good enough on their own (if you aren't expecting room shaking bass), but an active sub would be recommended.

Mids could use a bit of work, but again, this is personal preference.

Purchased At:   The Good Guys

Submitted by fgr41 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had bought a pair of RT800i for my fronts about 6 months ago. I was so happy with them I wanted to get a pair of rear towers that would timber match and found the RT600i's. I shopped around for a while before I found them on close out at Circuity City for $75 a speaker. I almost wet myself!

Anyway have the RT800i's up front, CS400i Center, and RT600i's in the rear. Having the entire system come out of the same series made all the diference in the world. They really shine and make the Movie / Music come alive.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by ajoshi27 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these from a friend who owned them for five months and had to leave the country for personal reasons. I was initially looking at Klipsch's and was almost sold on them before I listened to these.

I have following setup: RT600s as mains, CS245 in the center, PSW 350 sub, FX300i as surrounds. I am running them with Yamaha RXV 520 (it is three year old now). The system is used purely for music 80% of the time and rest I give it to movies.

Coming back to Klipsch's - they were too bright for me and that's where Polk won. The RT600s are smooth and won't rush on you like Klipsch. The soundstage is definitely better that Klipsch's and you don't have to mark your spot when you sit and listen to these.

The RT600s sound incredible in a mid-size room. However, one must remember that these are 'passive' speakers and should not be placed near the wall or a corner (keep at least a foot away from the walls). Speaking of beig passive speakers, if you have hardwood floors, these will rock! However, you will have to pump up the volume a bit if you are keeping them on carpet.

These are musical speakers. Clear lows, tight bass, clean highs. I do not use the sub while listening to the CDs. However, Klipsch gets upper hand in the mid-range. But as I said, choice depends on which one sounds better to your ears and I do not like speakers that just 'crash' the music on you. These are on gentle side (not as gentle as the Energy towers, but then Energy towers do not have good lows. They lack base - all of them!).

Having said enough - these are excellent for the money and offer you much more for the price.

Final advice for the testers - use Eric Clapton's 'Unplugged' when you test the speakers in the stores. The definitions of 'soundstage', 'clarity', 'crisp sound' will unfold in front of you. And the speakers that will help you understand these terms are the ones for you.

Good luck!

Purchased At:   Local Store

Submitted by thumpar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with these speakers. I have them running off my Harman Kardon receiver.

They have very good all around sound. The bass is clean and not boomy. The highes are clear and not ear piercing at any level.

For the price I don't think you can find a better speaker. I did alot of looking before getting these.

I have a powered sub I use for movies and I don't even turn it on for music.

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Submitted by Dragoon a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I tried a couple of speakers before settling with this one. Bose and JBL but Polk Audio sounded clearer on lower sounds and didn't give out as much distortion at higher volumes as comared to the Bose.

For the Price you can't get a better speaker. But if you can pay a few more hundred I am sure that there are better speakers out there.

Purchased At:   futureshop