Polk Audio RT400 Floorstanding Speakers

4.87/5 (30 Reviews)

Submitted by Ken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
Absolutely blown away by the quality and sound clarity of the RT400! Bravo Polk. I picked these up about a year and half ago on CL for free!! Running these in a 2 channel configuration with a Pioneer VSX D514 on my media server. Incredible sound for music and very good for HT use.

Submitted by niles300z a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
Still amazed by this speaker as well as it's smaller brothers i.e the r15. I know they are not in the same league with some big money speakers, but I have heard some nice speakers. Snell, Klipsch, Advent, Paradigm, PSB, Cizek.. and these R400's just plain old have it. For a tower, which fits perfectly in my small rooms, I can't imagine any more for any less. 5 stars on all fronts. Bravo Polk, and customer service too. Wow!

Submitted by Jorge Cifuentes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for 3 years. I used them with a Sony GA8ES with good results: classical music and opera sounded more than satisfactory, home theater was good but not impressive. When the Sony died, I bought a Yamaha DSP-AX600. What a change! now I have powerful bass, and great clarity even with chamber music. Home theater is amazing, especially with DTS encoded discs. Opera and symphonic music sound very authentic (I am a frequent attendant to live concerts).

Purchased At:   Ripley

Submitted by Bell777 a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for a couple of years now and I've been very pleased. They rock for straight audio system. They don't quite cut it for HT in my humble opinion, but if you like jazz these are great! I blew my driver the other day and called circuit city to replace it (I got a speaker warranty) .. Now I live 200 miles from a circuit city and they said I couldn't even mail it in (circuit city sucks) ... I called Polk and they said yeah no sweat we'll fix it , mail it on in. Not only are you getting good speakers with polk , but your getting great customer service!!!!

Purchased At:   cc

Submitted by Chris Atkinson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can't believe some people here got these for $100/ea. or less... what a steal. Even at the $139 per speaker price I bought these at, they were a steal. I would have paid twice the price.

I too have noticed a slight hiss, but I think it's because of my pos JVC reciever that is 5 years old (upgrading to a Sony STR-DE675 this month). Good speaker wire is highly recommended to remove any flaws that may exist and hinder the system.

These speakers are just absolutely amazing. The small footprint (less than a square foot) is a perfect match for this dorm room-dwelling college student. The bass is absolutely amazing... I've heard reports of tremblors from 6 doors down, and 2 doors down from the room above me... and this is a concrete/cinder block walled dorm hall. They enjoy being played at high volumes, but don't max the bass on your reciever. Other recievers might be different, but my RT400s are happiest at about the 60-80% bass level. It's rare to make the bass distort on these speakers, but it can be done if you're not careful. The clarity is amazing, and DVDs sound like you are THERE inside the flick. Truly amazing sound... it just cannot be beat at this price level. The RT400s shine in every aspect they can possibly perform in- even playing Need For Speed: High Stakes on my PC- the Porsche 911 never sounded so good. Music is amazing- put on a Sheffield Labs, or other audiophile/testing CD, and prepare to go into drool mode. One of my favorite pasttimes is just kicking back with the RT400s and listening to good, clean, crisp music. Close your eyes and you're on stage.

I had a speaker grille rubber cup get screwed up from showing off my drivers too much (grille on, grille off, grille on, etc) and I contacted a Polk Audio rep about getting a new one. A very friendly lady PERSONALLY replied my E-mail within 1 day and sent me 4 grille cups for free via UPS, which I recieved 3 days later. What service! Polk knows what they're doing, and I highly recommend them. Their equipment can compete with stuff that is 4x as expensive.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.