Pioneer CS-99A Floorstanding Speakers

Pioneer CS-99A Speakers...1973-1980

14.8" Woofer (F.B. paper/wool cone)
4.7" Mid-range (F.B. paper/wool cone)
3.9" Mid-range(F.B. paper/wool cone)
Horn Tweeter, 4"x3 1/2" mouth
Two 1/2" Super-tweeters (dome)

95 db/W efficient
Mid and High ranges 3-postion adjustable level

Genuine Walnut veneer

51 lbs

Submitted by Dr. W. G. Scott Clagett, Esq. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2016

Bottom Line:
In 1971, my brother, Now Retired Chief Master Sgt. USAF T.E.C. Jr. came home from the Philippines, his first overseas tour. I was only 13 years old at the time, and honestly did not know squat stereo equipment. He got into a financial situation and needed some cash, of which I had. It, along with the two sets of Pioneer CS 99As, along with a 1970 or 71 Pioneer SX 9000 receiver,Two PL 530 Pioneer Turntables and two Teac 1720 W Reel to Reel players. When I push 100 W into my CS 99 A's, a new meaning comes to the words "Let's Get Ready to Rumble"!

Though I've never really pushed it that far very often over the last 45 years. I must say that my Receiver and my CS 99 A's have absolutely rattled my home almost any time I play Kashmir.My CS 99 A's reproduce the very high notes as well, as any of the deep bass pumping out of those 15 inch woofers the sounds from these great Speakers is beyond compare, and will put a Klipstch heresy to shame.

All of my equipment is in almost new condition both physically and electronically. I am now 58 years old, and what I now call kids come in my living room. They just think all the stuff are just antiques, when they leave, they are marveled at the sound the experienced!

They all just laugh at my extensive amount of LPs, that is, until for the first time in their life. They heard one instead of a CD. In my opinion the day they put music on CDs was certainly the day the music died.

My beautiful in both looks and functionality Pioneer SX 9000, if any you remember that's the one that had built-in reverberation was something to die for, when it was new, very pricey. Many say it's the best Receiver that Pioneer ever made, it put all the others to shame. The Pioneer SX 9000 & the Pioneer CS 99 A's were built for each other.

In my opinion only a Kliptschorn almost 200 pound monster could possibly outdo a Pioneer CS 99 A., But you have to have on hand $6000 a piece for those rascals. But then again, in my opinion you cannot find a prettier speaker cabinet than the CS 99 A's, proving that beauty can sometimes surpass function. By the way my CS 99 A's are the ones that had the Gold FB one all of the speakers inside the cabinet. The FB CS 99 A's not only sound better than the ones without them, their monetary value is extensively higher.

If you compile find a set of CS 99 A's in mint condition, do not hesitate to spend $1500 a piece for them, the best money you'll ever spend.

If anyone were to offer me $10,000 for all of my Pioneer stereo equipment, I would just laugh at them.

Submitted by James a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of the CS99A Pioneer Speakers new in 1974 for $480.00,although I have a newer Pioneer receiver I use these old 99's & they still sound great.I have thought about replacing them with a pair of Klipsch RS 52 11 's I have a hard time letting these go.These speakers are the oldest thing I have that still work good.Any recomendations?

Submitted by Arnold a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have two CS63DX for the bottom speakers and a set of CS99A on top. They are absolutely beautiful full sounding speakers that you can adjust your mids and tweeters high to low in back for your preference in sound. I power them up with a Pioneer SX1250 and a Pioneer PL 707 TT spinning a Shure V15 type lll cartridge with original stylus and bliss is found. If you can find either of these speakers for sale buy them if you can you can and you will not be disappointed. The PL 707 TT is a sleeper too I sold my Pioneer PL 570 after getting the PL 707 it in a trade. Music makes everything better!!!

Submitted by Bill a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair new sometime in the early 70's. Ran them until a year or so ago. Swapped them out for a pair of AR-18B's, which I was previously using in the spare bedroom. I was going to donate old 99's to charity. Hooked them back up and decided to keep them, they do need more power than the AR's. I'll move the AR's to another place out on a lake that I'm putting together, it'll be needing a decent pair of speakers.

Submitted by ghostfish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
I ran into a set of CS99a's rummaging through a yard sale benefiting abandoned cats, which I went to for that purpose. Anyhoo, tucked away, almost out of sight was these speakers. What struck me first, was for their age, how beautifully the cabinets were made. I slipped the grills off and noticed all of the speakers had"FB" on them in gold letters. I figured these had to be keepers. I asked the lady how much, thinking they were probably priced out of my range, but when she said"six dollars for each one", I was blown away. I well remember the resulting backache from carrying these to my second floor apartment, but the more I worked on cleaning these up, the more the natural beauty just came through. The sound from these speakers is so smooth and natural. I also have a set of Acoustic Research AR-303's, which I hate to say......the pioneers can very well hold their own against. I had honestly planned to clean these up and turn them on e-bay, but there is no way I would part with these speakers.