Pioneer CS-99A Floorstanding Speakers

Pioneer CS-99A Speakers...1973-1980

14.8" Woofer (F.B. paper/wool cone)
4.7" Mid-range (F.B. paper/wool cone)
3.9" Mid-range(F.B. paper/wool cone)
Horn Tweeter, 4"x3 1/2" mouth
Two 1/2" Super-tweeters (dome)

95 db/W efficient
Mid and High ranges 3-postion adjustable level

Genuine Walnut veneer

51 lbs

Submitted by Arnold a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have two CS63DX for the bottom speakers and a set of CS99A on top. They are absolutely beautiful full sounding speakers that you can adjust your mids and tweeters high to low in back for your preference in sound. I power them up with a Pioneer SX1250 and a Pioneer PL 707 TT spinning a Shure V15 type lll cartridge with original stylus and bliss is found. If you can find either of these speakers for sale buy them if you can you can and you will not be disappointed. The PL 707 TT is a sleeper too I sold my Pioneer PL 570 after getting the PL 707 it in a trade. Music makes everything better!!!

Submitted by Bill a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair new sometime in the early 70's. Ran them until a year or so ago. Swapped them out for a pair of AR-18B's, which I was previously using in the spare bedroom. I was going to donate old 99's to charity. Hooked them back up and decided to keep them, they do need more power than the AR's. I'll move the AR's to another place out on a lake that I'm putting together, it'll be needing a decent pair of speakers.

Submitted by ghostfish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
I ran into a set of CS99a's rummaging through a yard sale benefiting abandoned cats, which I went to for that purpose. Anyhoo, tucked away, almost out of sight was these speakers. What struck me first, was for their age, how beautifully the cabinets were made. I slipped the grills off and noticed all of the speakers had"FB" on them in gold letters. I figured these had to be keepers. I asked the lady how much, thinking they were probably priced out of my range, but when she said"six dollars for each one", I was blown away. I well remember the resulting backache from carrying these to my second floor apartment, but the more I worked on cleaning these up, the more the natural beauty just came through. The sound from these speakers is so smooth and natural. I also have a set of Acoustic Research AR-303's, which I hate to say......the pioneers can very well hold their own against. I had honestly planned to clean these up and turn them on e-bay, but there is no way I would part with these speakers.

Submitted by ethonosviris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought the Pioneer CS99a speakers in 1976 while I was in the Navy,deployed in Okinawa. I paid $ 99.00 for each speaker from a store that only sold Pioneer equipment. I also bought a Pioneer SX-1050 receiver, a Pioneer PL-530 direct drive turntable and a Pioneer cassete deck. The quality of materials and workmanship was superb.in those days.

Today I only have the speakers and the turntable. The speakers sound just as good today as they did when I bought them in 1976. These speakers are very efficient and don't need a lot of amplifiier power to get a wonderfull, warm and rich sound out of them. If you decide to crank up the volume they will still produce the same wonderful sound without any distortion. They are truly amazing speakers and probally will last another 30 years.

Submitted by iqinventor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this pair new in 1977 along with a SX-1250 head. I have used them for 30 years. The first 10 years they were driven hard. The second 10 they were used as studio monitors and then in a night club I owned. For the last 10 they have been retired to my living room. I can remember musicians being blown away by these in the club (about a 2,000 sf room) as we ran them during the day and when the main room wasn't being used.

I have owned and built lots and lots of speakers and the CS-99A set would have to be in the top three. I would even rate them number one if durability is taken into consideration. For a speaker to go through what this one has, without failing, and still sound as sweet as it did on day one, is a tribute to Pioneer.