Pioneer CS-99A Floorstanding Speakers

Pioneer CS-99A Speakers...1973-1980

14.8" Woofer (F.B. paper/wool cone)
4.7" Mid-range (F.B. paper/wool cone)
3.9" Mid-range(F.B. paper/wool cone)
Horn Tweeter, 4"x3 1/2" mouth
Two 1/2" Super-tweeters (dome)

95 db/W efficient
Mid and High ranges 3-postion adjustable level

Genuine Walnut veneer

51 lbs

Submitted by ghostfish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
I ran into a set of CS99a's rummaging through a yard sale benefiting abandoned cats, which I went to for that purpose. Anyhoo, tucked away, almost out of sight was these speakers. What struck me first, was for their age, how beautifully the cabinets were made. I slipped the grills off and noticed all of the speakers had"FB" on them in gold letters. I figured these had to be keepers. I asked the lady how much, thinking they were probably priced out of my range, but when she said"six dollars for each one", I was blown away. I well remember the resulting backache from carrying these to my second floor apartment, but the more I worked on cleaning these up, the more the natural beauty just came through. The sound from these speakers is so smooth and natural. I also have a set of Acoustic Research AR-303's, which I hate to say......the pioneers can very well hold their own against. I had honestly planned to clean these up and turn them on e-bay, but there is no way I would part with these speakers.

Submitted by ethonosviris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought the Pioneer CS99a speakers in 1976 while I was in the Navy,deployed in Okinawa. I paid $ 99.00 for each speaker from a store that only sold Pioneer equipment. I also bought a Pioneer SX-1050 receiver, a Pioneer PL-530 direct drive turntable and a Pioneer cassete deck. The quality of materials and workmanship was superb.in those days.

Today I only have the speakers and the turntable. The speakers sound just as good today as they did when I bought them in 1976. These speakers are very efficient and don't need a lot of amplifiier power to get a wonderfull, warm and rich sound out of them. If you decide to crank up the volume they will still produce the same wonderful sound without any distortion. They are truly amazing speakers and probally will last another 30 years.

Submitted by iqinventor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this pair new in 1977 along with a SX-1250 head. I have used them for 30 years. The first 10 years they were driven hard. The second 10 they were used as studio monitors and then in a night club I owned. For the last 10 they have been retired to my living room. I can remember musicians being blown away by these in the club (about a 2,000 sf room) as we ran them during the day and when the main room wasn't being used.

I have owned and built lots and lots of speakers and the CS-99A set would have to be in the top three. I would even rate them number one if durability is taken into consideration. For a speaker to go through what this one has, without failing, and still sound as sweet as it did on day one, is a tribute to Pioneer.

Submitted by timothyone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these at a garage sale. The sellers mother had stored these CS 99As in a closet for most of 30 years while her husband, the owner, was working overseas.
After he filed for divorce their daughter, who the wife now lives with, decided to sell everything he had left behind.
I paid $100 for the speakers and a SX 9000 receiver and a Pioneer PL50 turntable.

I have been collecting/repairing stereo equipment for many years. I had heard of the CS 99As but had no idea how good they are until now. I have the HPM 100s, HPM 60s, several pairs of great speakers from JBL Acoustic Research, Sansui, Infinity, KLH, and many many other great brands, but these CS 99As are the ones I choose to use most. They are my favorites out of a collection of over 30 pairs of high quality speakers.

Purchased At:   yard sale

Submitted by vitalxs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought Pioneer CS-99a speakers in mint condition along with Samsung 7070 receiver 3 months ago. Those speakers are considered to be the "most brilliant speakers Pioneer ever made" along with HPM-100 speakers. Indeed they have a very impressive specs:

15" "FB" (Free Beating) woofers with material surrounds (no rotting), 5 way, 6 speaker, 22Hz-25,000Khz, 97Db, 100W

I set them up at my business demo room that is about 1000sf. What a sound!!! Even listening to MP3s brought a whole new dimention into it!

The Samsung receiver is also among the best and is an absolutely perfect match for the speakers!

I had a few freinds over and all commented that they have not heard a better, warmer and more realistic sound than this...

The sound is totally intoxicating - you just can't get enough of it. I have a Boston Acoustics VR-50s at home and I like them a lot but I can't even compare it.

Only after listening to this setup you realize that the technology available today is just that - a technology to get an OK sound from cheaper components.
Another friend of mine said that he had not heard a sound like that even when he shopped in $3K-$5K speaker range - he was totally overwhelmed.

If you can find them in good shape - this will be the best speakers your money will buy!

Purchased At:   craigslist