Pinnacle PN5+ Floorstanding Speakers

4.36/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Tall Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
Picked-up a free pair from Craigslist. One woofer was cracked, but repaired from the backside so almost can't' see. Wow. Best speaker at the best price.

Submitted by Gary Tillotson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Bottom Line:
I own restored Magnepan MgIII and three pairs of Pinnacle P 5+ because arguably tthere is nothing better under $4000. Pn5+ does not need bass assistance for most music. Awesome and sadly never equaled because they almost full range. I question the ears of those adding a sub or alternate choice. Every time I try A/B of reviewers other choice I think they are tone deaf including folks at Pinnacle who refuse to consider remaking the Pn5+

Submitted by igk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
i recently picked up a set of these older speakers from an online auction. i originally needed a small pair to use as rears in a home theater set-up, but after hearing how good they sounded, i ended up using them for my bedroom. i had looked into the similar sized Paradigm Atoms and PSB mini's before buying these, and i really thought that these pinnacles did more than compete. such great range, from low bass, to nice mids. i really enjoyed listening to jazz with them.

Overall, for the price, i dont' think you can beat these speakers. I don't think they are from as well known a manufacturer as the Paradigm or PSB that i compared them to, but the sound is definitely just as good.

I'd buy them again!

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by MaxxC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
One might wonder why Audioreview has a listing for a $150 minature bookshelf speaker that was produced in the late 1980's from a relatively obscure speaker company?

Because these speakers were true giant killers in their day, that easily dusted the likes of Bose 301's, Acoustic Research AR17 and Advent Baby's which were "The" bookshelf speakers to own at that time.

I still have a copy of the original review, that drew me to this speaker, that was printed in Stereoreview in 1986.

Stereoreview stated that the PN5+ with the exception of the base response sound "amazingly" similar to their reference speakers which cost over 20 times as much.

I honestly can't do a fair A/B comparison to my current bookshelf's; Edge Audio 502D (now Aperion Audio) which won a 2002 Audioreview, reviewers choice award.

In 2000 a frisky 3 year old nephew of mine cranked the Yamaha 2020 (100 watts per channel) to Maximum volume while I was in the shower and I guess you know the results.

I sent the speakers back to Pinnacle in upstate New York for repair. Unfortunatly the original tweeters were not available so they replace them with "upgraded" tweeters which don't sound nearly as good.

The PN5+ was one of those rare products that just got it right. Pinnacles subsequent replacement speakers; PN6 and PN8 as noted in many reviews simply did not compare to these wonderful minimonitors (7.0"-7.0"-11.0")

Submitted by Doc Netherly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
An audiophile friend of mine recommended these to me something over 10 years ago. Just got through taking them down to a retailer to test them side by side cause I wanted to upgrade. Put them next to Boston Acoustic CR 8's and 7's. The reatailer couldn't believe how good the sound was from these little old ( and I mean old) guys. There was not enough diff for me to buy the Bostons. Even tried em against the vrm-50. Yes, I want the vrm's, but I am still amazed at how well these little gems do. Think I'll try to find a place to listen to some newer model Pinnacle's.

Purchased At:   Don't Remember