Phase Technology PC-500s Floorstanding Speakers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

2 way plus powered sub

Submitted by Mutatto a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
Neither overly bright, nor overly warm these speakers are a definite steal for the price. I would suggest them more for surround enthusiasts.. In two channel, though the bass is quite tight and not at all boomy there is to distinct a differentiation between the bass and the mids/highs.. Almost like there is a proverbial wall in between the sounds.

Purchased At:   NAX

Submitted by paul a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous comments.
I have now had these almost a year, so:
When playing better source material on these in stereo only mode, the imaging and intonation is excellent. I have some
gorgeous sounding Vandersteens in my music only system,and these give them a run on certain material, and in certain aspects.

there is no comparison between these IMHO, and your other <$ 2,000/pair options for HT, which will still be enjoyable on good stereo recordings(Vangelis Opera Sauvage, Jazz, Joni Mitchell, Spriongsteen, Yes, BoyzIIMen, and even classical recordings( I am a classically trained pianist).

I actually A-B'd these with Dynaudio Evidence(!) on the same
recording, and they were bested, certainly, but not embarrrased. What more can I say. If you can get a deal on them, buy them! as they are not overpriced to begin with.

Let your ears be the judge.

Purchased At:   almost new from original owner

Submitted by John Helminski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I made the purchase in the Fall of 1999 from Haveys Electronics in NJ and had them shipped to San Diego. Floor close out purchase. Local dealer was unwilling to negotiate price.

These speakers are exceptional Home Theater Speakers even in a difficult room such as mine,(alot of hardwood floors and glass). I'm using the Phase Tech PC3 as a Center Channel which has better stand alone bass response than the PC500's when compared musically. Due to my room configuration I required built-ins in the rear since the back of the room is open to another room and didn't want to surface mount speakers on the ceiling. For this application I first tried the Klipsch IC650 with pivitol tweeters. These speakers after a year, couldn't keep up with the Phase Technology's. Now I'm using a similar designed by Niles with a pivitol tweeters just like the Klipsch. Much better bass repsonse and not as brite.

Overall, the Phase Technology speakers are good performers, but if I had to do it over again I would probably purchase the Tannoy M Series which are better for music.

Purchased At:   Haveys Electronics, Paramus, NJ

Submitted by Larry McClellan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers! I feel they are better than most in their price range for home theater/music listening which is a difficult task considering the range required. These babies can really pump out the base when playing Rock. For Vocals they are clean and fairly neutral. For movies the base is definitely adequate but lacks the punch needed with some titles. I purchased a MK-V75 sub to supply the added base needed.

Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Flanners Audio Brookfield WI

Submitted by Britt McTammany a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am a studio engineer and musician and have a broad taste in music. I have Phase Technology's PC-500 system including 2 PC500s, PC3 center channel, and 2 PC Surrounds in bipolar mode. I am using Yamaha's DSP A1 with Hafler for front mains.

For movies and surround programs, the PC-500 system is incredible. It graciously fills my large listening room (16 foot vaulted ceiling, 25x18) with tons of well seperated sound and monsterous bass.

For music, the PC-500s don't quite have the middle/highs that I'm accustomed to. Used JBL-4408 studio monitors prior with NEC subwoofer and had better frequency results.

In closing, it would be difficult to get anything better in this price range. Excellent gear.