Phase Technology 2.5T Floorstanding Speakers

2-way bookshelf speaker

Submitted by Bob Nitsche a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a pair of small bookshelf speakers in the less than $300 range for a bedroom stereo system. I have been a Polk fan for many years, but all their current speakers don't image worth a darn and sound flat. I listened to the Boston CR-7's, which imaged great, but lacked mid-range, making vocals sound thin. The Paradigm's were so bright they were difficult to listen to for extended periods. I found the Phase Technology 2.5T's on sale for $150 a pair at B'Jorns in San Antonio, and they blew away everthing I had listened to in the $300 price range, and even compared well with smaller tower speakers I have heard. Phase Technology invented the soft dome tweeter, and it really shows. The imaging is outstanding and highs are clear and bright without a hint of harshness. The mid-range is where the 2.5's really perform better than other speakers this size. Vocals are clear and warm and coupled with the great imaging, it sounds like the singer is in the room with you. The bass was the real surprise. It rolls off gradually below 50hz making the driver sound much larger than it really is. I believe the 2.5T has been discontinued and can be found at rock-bottom prices. I recommend you go get a pair if you are looking for an outstanding value in a bookshelf speaker.

Purchased At:   B'Jorn's Audio/Video San Antonio

Submitted by M.J.(BUBBA) HACKER JR. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I WAS LOOKING FOR SOME SMALL SPEAKERS FOR MY OFFICE SETUP. I HAD AUDITIONED THE SPEAKERS LISTED ABOVE. THE BOSTON ACOUSTICS WERE TO BRIGHT FOR MY OFFICE'S POOR ACOUSTICS, AND THE PSB'S WERE JUST NO MATCH FOR THE ACCURACY OF THIS LITTLE WONDER. I READ ALL THE REVIEWS, AND FELT ALMOST CRIMINAL WHEN I FOUND THEM AT A CLOSEOUT SALE FOR $100.00 A PAIR. I BOUGHT TWO PAIR, AND I'M USING THE OTHER FOR MY HOME OFFICE. THIS IS A SUPERB LITTLE SPEAKER. IT DEFINITELY WAS SURPRISING WHAT KIND OF SOUND THEY PRODUCE. "SWEET" TO SAY THE LEAST. THEY HAVE BEEN REPLACED BY THE 4.5, BUT I THINK THE 2.5 HAS A MUCH BETTER SOUND. I'M VERY PLEASED!

Purchased At:   B'JORNS AUDIO/VIDEO

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
As a former commission audio salesman I demoed or bought
the above speakers, but they are really not to be compared to the 2.5. Alike in price and performance the 2.5 is the
winner hands down. In so many words, the $200 price tag for
a pair of these speakers is a steal!
I am a jazz, classical, and international music fan, and
listening to these idioms on the 2.5s is a real treat. The sound staging of Brazilian artist Gilberto Gil's "Palco"
gave me that "being there" feeling.
These speakers are highly recommended by this reviewer
whose friends think he got them "hot". Come to think of it, at this price, they very well may be.

Submitted by Larry a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
this is a review of the "new" phasetech 4.5's bookshelf speakers, (plus matching center model 6.5), A little larger than the 2.5's but same basic design! These can be seen on phasetech's web sight. I was looking for a bookshelf speaker that was under 13" tall to accomodate my entertainment center design and I reviewed "many" in this size range. After hearing the center channel and deciding that was the one for me, I proceeded to audition small mains and heres what my ears told me. The 4.5's had very clear highs that didn't hurt and plenty of mid-range and low accents.The soft dome tweeter is very smooth and the titanium driver looks good and delivers! Styling was alittle better than most I looked at. For the money, I felt they were by far the "best buy".The tannoy r1 was very sweet but also very expensive. My experience also showed me that you have to pay attention to the "source" that is used to audition various speakers, most stereo shops will play these speakers thru $2500.00 units with "high dollar" cables which will increase the tonal quality of almost any speaker! Then you take them home...... well you get the picture!! Make sure they will let you return them if they sound different on your equipment! well, back to the speakers, Phasetech makes a great product thats not too expensive, sounds great, has good looks -but- can only be purchased at upscale audio shops. Go listen and hear for yourself. I'll be surprised if your not impressed!!

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was really shocked the first time I listened to this speaker at a local dealer. I wasn't expecting much from this little $200 dollar speaker. The musicality of this speaker will blow you away. Vocals, strings, and acoustical instruments seem to envelope the room. I don't think there is a better speaker avaiable at twice the price.