Paradigm Reference Monitor 5 v2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.78/5 (27 Reviews)

2 way bass-reflex (3 drivers), 120W. Two x 165mm (6.5") drivers with diecast chassis, ICP™ injection-moulded co-polymer polypropylene cone, Apical™ former, and one 25mm (1") PTD™ pure-titanium dome and former, ferro-fluid damped/cooled tweeter.

Submitted by k8n4z7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
These are great mains for any home theatre. They beat anything I have heard in the price range. When matched with a good sub and driven by a good amp they really come alive.

Submitted by Derek Force a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Put my system together in March. Knew a Paradigm dealer, so I snagged 3 pair of Monitor 5 v3's, sheilded, for $359 a pair, although for the quality, I would still have bought them at the 550 list price.
System:
Yamaha RX-V1300 amp
6 Paradigm 5 v3 speakers (mounted on walls with B-Tech BT77s)
Paradigm Servo 15 sub
Paradigm X-30 Crossover
Panasonic RP62 DVD w/ digital audio.

Unbelievable sound quality. I listen to everything from rock to rap to classical. Had a picnic this summer, opened up the windows and blasted em. You could hear the music, crystal clear, far from the house. Movies are just as incredible. (of course, the sub helps alot). I have listened to many people's home theater systems, and so far nothing compares. Even with the sub off, these speakers deliver a suprising amount of bass, although nowhere near enough for my spoiled tastes.

Purchased At:   Virginia (store with

Submitted by afrost a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
these speakers are sick! best speakers i have heard for half a buck. i like them better than the b&w 602's. my friend bought them and we listended to them for about 8 hours so far. they aren't even properly broken in yet! we listened to things like Eric Dolphy, Spiritualized, Alice Coltrane, My Bloody Valentine, Sleep, The Flaming Lips, Beck, Air....they all sound amazing on these things. they have phat bass for a non floorstanding speaker. if 600 is you limit....i highly recommend these little guys.

Purchased At:   university audio

Submitted by gregwass a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for v3. These speakers are great. Crystal clear with a surprising amount of bass for the size. For this price range, I think it's really tough to beat these. Spreakers definitely need a bit of break in time, but it's worth it.

Purchased At:   Park Avenue Audio (N

Submitted by red-i a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is acutally for the newer v3's. I got them at a great price as the store was having a clearance sale on their v2's (price paid was $500 canadian plus tax). I got the v3's for the same price plus another 15% discount. These speakers are amazing! Very accurate from the highend, through midrange and even give a great bass response (given their size of course). I've got them hooked up to a cheapo technics 2 channel amp (100W / channel) for now. What amazed me even more is how much richer they sounded once they were broken in (took about a month or so). The bass really filled out once they broke in.

I've got my jvc s500 dvd player hooked up to my amp and do alot of movie watching as well as listen to alot of music. movies come through great. Of course you dont' get that rumble that you get with a nice sub but dialogue is very clear and natural sounding, and effects come through just fine.

These speakers excel at music reproduction with my setup. I've never heard Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue album sound so sweet. Oscar Peterson's piano sounds so real he could be playing in my living room. Techno/house/hiphop sounds awesome too, though the speakers dont' give that kick that you get with bigger woofers. however the bass is very accurate and much better than I thought it would be.

Before I got these, I was considering getting one of those 'home theatre in a box' deals. After listening to my paradigms, I went into the sony store and was listening at one of their small 5.1 systems they had on sale for around $700. Wow did it sound flat! I'm so glad I decided to get these monitor 5s

Purchased At:   Kromer Audio