Paradigm Reference Monitor 9

Submitted by Henrik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have had my Monitor 9 for about six years or so and I absoloutly love them. I have powered with different NAD amps through the years and they sounded ok even with a small NAD 312 producing 2x25W. For a few years I owned two NAD 214 producing well over 2X200W (8ohm), fantastic!

I listen mostley to rock/metall, and even if the Paradigms aren't as extreme as the Cervin Vegas, they does it very well. Nowdays I also use them as front speakers in my surround system with Paradigm C-170 (soon CC-350 though) and what more can I say than amazing! Great sound for the money!

Purchased At:   Hifiklubben

Submitted by mrfixit266 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
1st Off to the guy below. Get rid of the dennon and get a real receiver. 100w in Dennon realy means 20-30 true watts. Your probably under powering the poor things.
Great speaker. This one will compete with speakers 2-3 more expensive. Very crisp and clear. Leaves a little to be desired in the bass area. No big deal if you run a sub. Very wide listening area. This is a real++ as my listening room is 24x30. They sound about the same throughout the entire room.

Purchased At:   Music Box (Laramie W

Submitted by LuckyElmo a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
I paid $2400 for FOUR speakers, not two. I noticed this later on. Sorry for this oversight on my behalf.

Submitted by LuckyElmo a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
Looking to buy speakers? Cosider this...

Like everyone else says, "sounds good at all volumes, good sound for the money, blah,blah,blah..."

HOWEVER, the tweeters blow without warning on these speakers, causing the inconvenience of being speakerless for 3 to 4 weeks for replacement parts to arrive. The warranty is only for five years, so what happens after this? I have had to bring them in on three separate occasions for the same reason. I am driving them with a DENON 685 2-channel x100 watt receiver, with both bass and treble knobs set at "0" as well as the tone defeat button pushed in, loudness 'off' on newer c.d's with louder output signals. My previous speakers were a pair of Realistic speakers from the 80's with auto reset safety feature. They cost about $200 for the pair. If there were any danger of "blowing" at a louder volume, they would simply trip off, and reset themselves 5 seconds later. What a great feature!!! but the dealer at the store told me Paradigm don't have this because they would lose sound quality. Arent these speakers supposed to be cutting edge technology where a bi-metal fuse device could be used that would cost 99 cents to make but would cost the end user , say, $50, because of the research and development cost? I would rather have a speaker with a bit less sound quality than a "dead" speaker, like I have now. I would have bought bookshelf speakers, had I known the b.s. I would have to endure for the $2400 can. I spent on them. I bought big because I wanted the noise factor.

But, as mentioned earlier by myself and other reviewers, they do sound good at all volumes, but when they go for a poop, they really stink the joint out.

"Like a Nike running shoe, with Paradigm speakers you pay for a name, not product performance..."

Purchased At:   Gibby's Electronics

Submitted by shagger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
$1500.00 in New Zealand Dollars (750 US)

Purchased At:   listening post