Paradigm Reference Studio 100
Description: 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker - Two 8" Filled Polpropylene Cone Woofers, 6.5" Mica-Polymer Cone Midrange Driver, 1" Pure-Aluminum Dome Tweeter

Submitted by Tod a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2014

Bottom Line:
I recently acquired a used pair of v4 100. The notes on power from reviewers are important. I brought the used speakers to my dealers showroom to try a few different vintage two channel amps to purchase for these speakers as my dealer said my Yamaha 125 watt receiver would not get it done with these speakers. Started with a couple of 100-125 wpc amps and was a bit disappointed with my speaker purchase as the bass seemed a bit muddy. Finally we connected a refurbished Perreaux PMF 2150B. Wow. This two 200 watts to 8 ohm and 400 to 4 ohm completely changed the character of these speakers. The base tightened, the muddiness was gone and the soundstage became spectacular. Even the store owner, who told me more power was going to make these speakers perform better, was shocked at the transformation.
Yes I did buy the Perreaux.
Don't skimp on power and these speakers are very special.
And I have had Paradigm Studio 20 V2 for many years. Also a great speaker.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by wilcobb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
Price paid $2400 from Creative Tech

Summary:
I purchased the Studio 100 v4. Excellent. The very best speakers I have owned by a mile or two or three! Frequency response is even, midrange & highs - smooth/clear, bass - heavy (does not need a separate sub-woofer although I have just bought one!). I play a very wide range of music - country, pop, blues, jazz, classical, electronic, orchestral, acoustic guitar, soca, reggae and even some hip/hop/rap. They do show up bad recordings as they are very detailed. I did not find they needed a lot of power. I have two amps (a Sony surround at 120W per channel and a NAIM 250 power amp at only 80W per channel). Both drive these speakers with no trouble and at volumes that shake the house! They are heavy. It needed two of us to carry them up stairs. I have them biwired. I can highly recommend these speakers.

Strengths:
Excellent frequency response. All rounders.

Weaknesses:
None that I can think of.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Audio Warrior a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have to laugh when folks say that these speakers are large. The last pair of speakers I bought were a pair of Klipsch La Scalas. They are large.
At any rate the speakers I purchased are the Studio 100 v4, (they are 2007 models but the choice did not include '07) and they are exquisite. The frequency response is even across the entire range. These speakers are heavy and thus a bit unwieldy to place, but not unmanagable. The fit and finish is first rate. The sound, initially was pretty bad. I had read a great deal, however, about the break in requirements. I hooked them up to also play audio from the video system and in about two days the sound began to smooth out. After two weeks they were sounding much better. Six months later they are outstanding.
I am powering them with a Carver M1.0t. I have owned it for twenty years now and find it to be a better amp than I knew. I have not noticed the need for power that others have mentioned. I rarely see the DB leds move off the bottom. I am largly a Rock and Roll fan, but also listen to Jazz and Classical. When called upon to do so these speakers can get as low as anything I have heard. The midrange is smooth and clear. The highs were harsh, but smoothed out with time. I suspect that an improvement in source equipment will make things even better.

Purchased At:   Marvin Electronics

Submitted by KIRKLIN a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
OUTSTANDING SPEAKER ! ! ! Granted, you keep in mind the price of the speaker. Now, it will not out perform many of the High Dollar speakers, but . . . I've discovered, other than expensive, many high priced speakers fall short in performance. To the speaker: BIG ! ! ! I would not recommend these for a room smaller than 12x16x7 (minimum). They need room to breath. I am biamping mine - both amps 250 wpc into 8 ohms. The speakers LOVE power, and will talk ALL that you give them. The more power, the better they respond.

Highs: Very good - accurate/to very close reproduction. At times, the tweeter tip-toes very close to harsh (if the recording is very demanding in the high-end)

Mids: Dead-on! This where the 100's shine! The mids are enveloping. Turn-off the lights, close your eyes, and enjoy-the-ride!

Bass: Impressive! Though, to get this in your home - POWER! ! ! I think those who complain of a lack of bass, are probably under powering these speakers. What impressed me most, was the woofers - described as 8.5" (if memory serves correctly) are only 7" (The mids woofer is shorter than the description as well).

For one who wants uncompromise music at the most reasonable and affordable price, I'd recommend the 100's V.2 to anyone (WHO HAS THE SPACE and power for them)

Purchased At:   Private Owner

Submitted by petenoak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
Big, rich exciting sound. For my ear these speakers are better for jazz and poplular than for classical music. Or at least some recordings. Much of the time these speakers sound just glorius!

Purchased At:   Music Lovers Audio -