Paradigm Reference 9seMk3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.59/5 (22 Reviews)

Submitted by werdna a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've owned these speakers since the summer of 1994 and absolutely was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I recently hooked them up to a Denon 3808ci receiver, paired it with a definitive technology pro 2000 center speaker and WOW gorgeous sound playback in all aspects of the speakers range. The bass is truly beautiful. No distortion, crisp clean lows with impressive response . The sound stage is seamless completely enveloping sound you feel immersed in. Came across this review site accidentally and thought I would add my two cents. Even after so many years If you can find these anywhere I would without hesitation buy them!

Submitted by n-sanity a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
Purchased these from a man that didn't know the model of these speakers. They are badgeless at the back, but are 9se mk3's. Pretty bomb deal. The fun just began at that however.

I paired them with my Paradigm 5se's for a 1:1 comparison. I wasn't blown away but most definitely pleased in the bottom end. Driven by a Nad c320bee, they deliver incredible sound at lower volumes. Unfortunately, the 50w c320 can't go far with them - purchasing a carver power amp for that. As i see here, they like their power like nothing else.

The highs are slightly less defined then with my original model 5se's (with vifa liquid cooled soft-domes), but still very impressive. Very slight difference, might even be the amp's fault as it's mostly noticeable at higher levels.

The bass however is truly standalone subwoofer worthy. At lower levels of which my amp is capable without clipping, the 9's murder my 5's. Although they are more sensitive (93db sensitivity - incredible). Even at low power, with +1db bass bias, these can rock a house with ease. At the very very low power levels, barely above audible - the bass is incredibly still there, ever present and balances out the sound alltogether.

As with many Paradigms of this model line (5-11 se's), the sound stage is absolutely ridiqulous. It is simply impossible to guess where the speakers are, and if your eyes are closed, a good recording could easily play with your wits. The sound stage extends way beyond your ceiling, out the backyard and inside your head. The 9's seem slightly better then the 5's in this.

Through in bi-ampability with gold-plated 5-way posts at the back, a very solid professional looking cabinet (mine are black) and an attractive price point... they hold their own against $1000 speakers.

Purchased At:   Private sale

Submitted by bibbers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
Hi there, I finally just got me self some decent speakers. These things sounded very relaxed when I bought em. However, like some on these reviews (perhaps those whom seemed angry about their quality), I don't have a biamp, to run them. All I have in the way of an amp right now is an oldschool Marantz 2226B - which apparrently should not be used with these speakers.

I need some suggestions on amps at budget prices. In other words, any old biamp brands of considerable longevity which I might afford to power these from to watch for as second hand? I post this question as a response should prove pertinent to the product's use and relevance in today's market, yes?

Thanks!

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by rrayda a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I lived with these speakers for 7 years and loved every minute of it. I recently moved to some electrostas and thought I'd post a sort of parting review of these great boxes to pass on some of my experiences to the community. So, here a few of the more important things I learned during their tenure with me.

1) To really open these boys up, you need some decent amplification. I started running them with a Yamaha receiver of about a '96 vintage and loved them. After a few years and quite a bit more delving into the hi-fi culture, I thought there must be something more. I bought a Parasound HCA-1000A power amp and was positively blown away. I couldn't beleive how much happoer they sounded and how much more music they made. I have no clue what you're running them with, but the Parasound was probably pushing about 200W a side at the speaker's 4 Ohm impedance and man were they great. I think it was more the quality of the power than the wattage (as is always the case).

2) Move them out from the wall. I started with them pretty much right up against a wall and thought they sounded great. After some research, I realized maybe this wasn't optimal, so I moved them out 2-3 feet from the rear and side walls. Wow. The bass tightened up immeasurably and the overall sound just tightened up so nicely. Again, I have no idea what your constraints are, but try it if you can.

3) Lastly, I was running them with some cheesy Monster zip cord and never even really thought twice about it. Then I decided to see if there was anyhting to the whole cable thing and ponied up the cash (about $40 which is probably the best money I ever spent on my system) and bought some Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables. Again, all I could say was wow. The new high-quality wire really opened the speakers up once again and brought the sound into focus. I highly reccomend checking out AQ's product line, they are amazing.

An exceptional speaker for the money. Heck, this is an exceptional speaker period.

Purchased At:   Local stereo shop

Submitted by merasdad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these online after reading reviews and getting input from various people who all loved this speaker. Bought them, bi-amped them, kept for about 5 months before I had to get rid of 'em. The sound was simultaneously flat and fatiguing! Replaced them with a pair of NHT 2.5s and once again the music rocked!

Purchased At:   online, don't rememb