Paradigm Reference 9seMk3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.63/5 (24 Reviews)

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2016

Bottom Line:
Well, what else can we say about these great speakers. I purchased my complete Paradigm system in 1996 ( I think ) Its been a long time anyways. 9se, cc300 center channel, PS1200 Sub and Titans rears. Their powered by a Denon AVR 3200 and they sing as beautifully now as the day I bought them. Thought the amp in the sub went south a few months ago, I just replaced it with another great Paradigm product the DSP3200 sub. I recently went back to our local Paradigm retailer to listen to the latest version ( I think v7 ) of these speakers and let me tell you, the v7's are very good but I wouldn't trade my 20 year old v3's even for em. Like one reviewer said , It was the best audio purchase I ever made. Well I have made my fair share of audio purchase also and I would have to say the same. Wouldn't surprise me if the last another 20.

Submitted by mitchaudioenthusiast a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
Found a pair of these in the trash...Yes...I said...In the trash...there are two 4" scrapes on the top of one, otherwise in perfect cosmetic condition...I was feeling bummed the day i found these because i'd just purchased a pair of used Thiel speakers....When I got home i realized one speaker wasn't working....Drove another hour to return these...I told my girl what happened with the Thiels which is when she says to me I just saw some audio stuff in the trash...Well, short story long....I grabbed these (along with the center channel speaker and a Denon TOTL receiver...IN THE TRASH! I figured there must be something wrong with them, but decided to give a listen....I was floored...These speakers put out a sound I'd been looking for for so long...I paired them with my Yamaha dsp a1 and all i can say is WOW!!! Im not new to this speaker thing...Ive had wharfedale diamonds, thiel 1.2s, Energy C9s, Polk Monitor 11s, dahlquist Dq20s, Onix Rockets, and PBN Montanas..(and a handful of others i can't remember......All good/great speakers....None of them had the synergy that these Paradigms have with the receiver.....All i can say is if you find a pair (anywhere) buy them....You will be extremely happy! The dual 8"ers make them rock!!!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by werdna a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've owned these speakers since the summer of 1994 and absolutely was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I recently hooked them up to a Denon 3808ci receiver, paired it with a definitive technology pro 2000 center speaker and WOW gorgeous sound playback in all aspects of the speakers range. The bass is truly beautiful. No distortion, crisp clean lows with impressive response . The sound stage is seamless completely enveloping sound you feel immersed in. Came across this review site accidentally and thought I would add my two cents. Even after so many years If you can find these anywhere I would without hesitation buy them!

Submitted by n-sanity a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
Purchased these from a man that didn't know the model of these speakers. They are badgeless at the back, but are 9se mk3's. Pretty bomb deal. The fun just began at that however.

I paired them with my Paradigm 5se's for a 1:1 comparison. I wasn't blown away but most definitely pleased in the bottom end. Driven by a Nad c320bee, they deliver incredible sound at lower volumes. Unfortunately, the 50w c320 can't go far with them - purchasing a carver power amp for that. As i see here, they like their power like nothing else.

The highs are slightly less defined then with my original model 5se's (with vifa liquid cooled soft-domes), but still very impressive. Very slight difference, might even be the amp's fault as it's mostly noticeable at higher levels.

The bass however is truly standalone subwoofer worthy. At lower levels of which my amp is capable without clipping, the 9's murder my 5's. Although they are more sensitive (93db sensitivity - incredible). Even at low power, with +1db bass bias, these can rock a house with ease. At the very very low power levels, barely above audible - the bass is incredibly still there, ever present and balances out the sound alltogether.

As with many Paradigms of this model line (5-11 se's), the sound stage is absolutely ridiqulous. It is simply impossible to guess where the speakers are, and if your eyes are closed, a good recording could easily play with your wits. The sound stage extends way beyond your ceiling, out the backyard and inside your head. The 9's seem slightly better then the 5's in this.

Through in bi-ampability with gold-plated 5-way posts at the back, a very solid professional looking cabinet (mine are black) and an attractive price point... they hold their own against $1000 speakers.

Purchased At:   Private sale

Submitted by bibbers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
Hi there, I finally just got me self some decent speakers. These things sounded very relaxed when I bought em. However, like some on these reviews (perhaps those whom seemed angry about their quality), I don't have a biamp, to run them. All I have in the way of an amp right now is an oldschool Marantz 2226B - which apparrently should not be used with these speakers.

I need some suggestions on amps at budget prices. In other words, any old biamp brands of considerable longevity which I might afford to power these from to watch for as second hand? I post this question as a response should prove pertinent to the product's use and relevance in today's market, yes?

Thanks!