Optimus PRO-X88AV Floorstanding Speakers

4.11/5 (19 Reviews)

2-way monopole tweeter with 5"polypropylene shielded

Submitted by David Latchaw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I went in to pick up a pair of the modern equivalent of the old Minimus 7's and got these instead. They suck. They're classic "sizzle-and-boom" boxes with a harsh top and a booming one-note bass. I found them unlistenable. Unfortunately, the X44's, while better, are still not as good as the old Minimus 7's.

Purchased At:   radio shack

Submitted by jschatz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
How can you go wrong with these little wonders for $49.00 a pair (when on sale, which is about every other month)! Available in black or white, they are compact (about 4"x8"), substantial (hefty cast metal cabinets and metal screen fronts- these things are indestructible) and pump out crisp and punchy sound.

Radio Shack has been making similiar models for years under the Radio Shack, Optimus and now RCA labels but they are basically the same. The latest models comes with a rear port for improved bass. I wish they still came with the threaded openings for screw-in mounting brackets but they do include a picture hanging-style bracket on the back.

These are not a substitute for larger, audiophile tower speakers but they are fantastic for home theater (add a subwoofer) and for bookshelf or desk use.

If you're a snob, take off the nameplate and call them "Studio reference monitors." I'll take these over any small Infinity, Polk, Boston Acoustics, JBL at 3 times the price.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by Aaron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
Radio Shack, Optimus, Realistic, RCA. Names that for years have meant "junk". I am here to talk about the X88's. I am also here to tell you that they are fabulous. When I bought these, I knew they were decent, but the real test came when they arrived, and I hooked them up. Whoa! 5 1/2" wide, 8" tall, and when placed on top of my older Kenwood floor speakers, my wife thought that all of the speakers were hooked up! She couldn't beleive it when I showed her that the Kenwoods weren't even hooked up! That was the 1st day, and I haven't stopped smiling since. If you can find them, get them, or sell them to me, haha! The more the merrier with these babies. A sub is a must, but once you have that, you're set. I give them 5 stars for value, and 4 stars overall.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by chuzzrocket a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
it's hard to take the optimus name too seriously, but these RCA-manufactured speakers are really great if you live in an apartment, or just want to use them as bookshelf type monitors... I bought these at RadioShack about a year ago. They've held up well. Do not expect these to sound like 3-way tower speakers, but there's no question that there is a warmth of sound with these which you don't really here until you get get into some serious $$$. I also own the cambridge soundworks model 6. everyone gives those the big thumbs-up, and i just don't understand it. The X88-AV's blow away the Model 6's in my opinion. By contrast, the Model 6 speakers have a bassy, boomy quality which you really have to work around, and they miss something in the transparency department. I use the X88'AV's in an apartment setting, and I do crank them pretty loud, and they're still running well. Don't expect it to sound like there's a sub in the room, but you'll be impressed with the bass-imaging. my only complaint is the same as others, i.e. there's a harshness somewhere in the upper mids or hi's which can create some listener fatigue. but you can work around this with the eq... overall a good deal.

Purchased At:   radio shack

Submitted by Preemo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I agree 100% with Grant and Greg. Anyone contemplating purchasing these speakers should also try the Pro-X44AV's. Imo, they are far better - smoother and more open sounding. You'd be surprised how enjoyable the 44's are. And when Radio Shack has their 1/2 off sale, an unbelievable bargain at $30.00 each.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack