Optimus PRO-LX8 Floorstanding Speakers

4.59/5 (34 Reviews)

Submitted by sound a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
Ive had these speakers since 1998 they have great sound. They were 200 each I bought the floor models I believe for about 100 each so I've had them about 12 years now you really don't need a sub with these. The only complaint is they are really too big for bookshelf speakers. And distort at hi volume I think it has a lot to do with receiver

Submitted by mjarve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
People, today you are talking to a changed man.

For years, I've been something of an audiophile snob, preferring the likes of harman/kardon, (pre-IAG) Wharfedale, and McIntosh to that of Sony, Pioneer, and (cringe) RadioShack. The Shack was fine for solder and the odd connector I could not wait to get from Parts Express, but I never took their audio gear seriously. Even when Stereo Review and Audio wrote up glowing reviews of their Pro LX series (with Linaeum HFD), I chalked it up to some odd grading scale... "Of course they sound better than a Yorx boom-box, but they can't touch my SB-7000A's" was my prevailing thought.

Fast forward 7 years. This morning while running some errands, I came across a fund-raising bazaar. Sitting under one table were two sets of Optimus speakers: a pair of Pro LX-7's and a pair of Pro LX-8's. Asking price was $10 per pair, or "$15 for all four", as the kindly lady told me. I bought them all, figuring I could use the tweeters for some project or another.

When I got home, I decided to connect them up to my h/k 680i receiver. This was basically an after thought and meant mostly to see if the tweeters still worked.

Two words: Mein Gott!

I would never have expected this degree of high-quality and pleasurable sound from RadioShack. Beautiful, airy highs. Strong, tight bass. The only area they are lacking in, sonically, is slightly diminished mid-range; it is actually nice on some of my recordings where the mid-range glares a little. Absolutely wonderful sound, and easily comparable to some of the best speakers I have heard in their size range. I would have gladly paid 100 times what I did for them.

A quick peak "under the hood" explained some things. Woofers are no less than Danish-made Peerless drivers. High-quality film capacitors in the crossovers, and Toshiba-built Linaeum tweeters. Good internal bracing and internal dampening. The only reminder of their low-end heritage is the very cheesy 5/8th-inch thick particleboard cabinet. Better than many speakers (Bose 201/301's, Sony, and others), but in some ways keeping them back.

So now I am on a quest to find the Pro LX-10's, which were apparently the flagship of the line, with dual 7-inch drivers and Linaeum tweeter. Fortunately, many audiophiles share my former view of the series, so I should still be able to nab them up on the cheap... They're RadioShack, after all

Purchased At:   Fund Raiser

Submitted by JohnJE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've gone into RS for a thing or two over the years and always been impressed with non-fatiguing sound of the Linaeum tweeter. Found this model on audioreview.

Out of the box it's a 2 star. With mods it's a darn serious 4 star sound knocking on 5. It's 5 I give it (maybe 4.51)modded, but that's about what the ratings are on it on Audioreview these days.

Like below reviewer, I stuffed it with Parts Express damping sheets...it looks nice, so I did it in AND out. Rewired with 10ga. cable. Put them on solid, sand filled 18" stands. Kept them 3' from back wall(important). Lined the corners with mortite rope caulk, stuffed with Parts Express poly fibrefill. Wow - what a difference!

For kicks, I defeated internal crossover and biamp them electronically at 2.5K. No kidding, these are so non-fatiguing, they took my Vandersteens out of action. These are my main speakers now...and they are darn fine and cheap. Mods cost, maybe, $200 (with $90 stands included).

Look forward to mating with a nice subwoofer someday. I think the Peerless woofer, once relieved of subterranean bass duties, will shine as a midrange.

Submitted by jamison a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
i bought these speakers from Radio Shack as a discontinued item. the sound from the tweeter is awesume. i did notice how close the woofer is to the tweeter. well, i mounted the tweeter module on the bottom of the speaker and reversed it. now the woofer sits on the bottom and the port is at the top. i also lined the enclosures with dynamat and stuffed them with insulation. also they were rewired with 10 gauge monster cable. these modifications cost about 40 bucks a speaker but yields a speaker competitive with ones costing 5 times as much

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by gleason mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Placement is very important for these speakers. I have a small living room with no good place to position speakers. Nothing seemed to work, given that the speaker sound (as noted in other reviews)is very directional. You need to find the right position. I ended up placing mine in corners of the room, one behind a door, facing up, with the back of each speaker sitting on an upside-down plastic tub so that the speakers were off the floor. The result is excellent. Somehow the sound disperses beautifully throughout the room. I no longer had the feeling that the sound was "aimed" at me.

Purchased At:   radio shack