Optimus Pro LX5 Floorstanding Speakers

3.94/5 (112 Reviews) MSRP : $150.00

5-in woofer, 2 4-in top mount dipole tweeters

Submitted by Gary A Truex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2008

Bottom Line:
While getting to move, I was cleaning out the closet and got to looking two pair of damaged bookshelves gathering dust.
The Pro LX-5's woofer surrounds had rotted out and the cleaning lady's toddler had poked his fingers into the mono-pole tweeters of the Aura Sound LSB-527M's.
So, I thought, why not make one pair out of two?
The first hybred was done by mounting the LX-5's dipoles on the Aura's.
Nice sound, but somewhat insensitive without much dynamic quality.
Then the other way.
I had already lined the the LX-5's cabnet with Dynamat and I stuffed the poly from the Aura's in the small LX-5 enclosers. The Peerless woofers required some trimming to fit, but the cross-over screwed right in.
BINGO!!!
The results were mind-blowing! The sum of these parts are way better than either of the two original speakers.
I am croossing them over at 100Hz with the ports open and they play loud and strong down to my sub(X'ed at 80 Hz).
The purpose of this review on the now defunct LX-5(and other varients), is to prod others who have some lying around, is to do the mods listed here in the archives.
I don't think the Peerless woofers I'm using are available and wouldn't right for Larry Van Wormers cross-over anyhow. But with the correct Sea's woofer. these little 'diamonds in the rough", can become true gems.
My friends are truely amazed that such a Big Soun d can come from such small packages.

Purchased At:   RS, U-bid

Submitted by rhkwon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
OK boys, I bought these about a year ago and had always wanted one ever since reading Julian Hirsch's review in Stereo Review. He raved and raved about the speakers. I finally was able to find and buy a pair. Well, for over a year I found the speakers to be horrible for 2 channel but awesome for HT. The fact that I had a very small living room did'nt help matters. For 2 channel, the bass was boomy, the highs were very soft and the midrange was lacking. It was too the point that I dialed the bass down on the receiver to the 0 and dial down the sub levels just to clean up the boominess. I had them hooked up to a 1997 Yamaha HT receiver. Even after hooking them up to an old NAD 7600, they still sounded awful.
Well, the secret to making these babies do what they are supposed to do is to bi or even tri wire them. I went the biwire route and man the difference is between night and day. Gone is the boominess. The highs are much clearer and crisper and that awful muddiness is gone! I am so ecstatic. I was at the point that I thought I might just sell these off but now I know what Julian Hirsch was talking about. Still, I don't know how he could rave about them because he had them hooked up the normal way to a regular receiver. Regardles, hook these up with the subs facing outward, give them plenty of space away from the walls, place them far apart and BIWIRE these suckers and they will reward you!

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by rhkwon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
After reading all the reviews I thought I had to give these a shot. Well, I don't think these speakers live up to all the rave reviews. The tweeter is nice but there is no bass, no midrange and overall the sound seems weak. It seems like these speakers need lots of power. The soundstage the tweeters produce is very nice. It was quite thrilling to hear them for the first time. Very airy quality to them. However, after a while, you begin to notice how flat the speaker sounds. Anyway, in its oem state, it is just a so so cheap speaker. Does'nt really sound that much better than the pro77's.

Submitted by stephenj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Amazed at these little speakers, especially at the price. Sure they have limited and honky bass and a rather jagged midrange but the treble can be exquisite. Nothing else I have heard in their price range ever came close.
So I have tried to modify them along Larry van Wormers reccomendations. First step was to change the stock bass unit for a SEAS MP14RCY - result; much smoother but NO BASS WHATSOEVER below 250Hz (units tested by suppliers and fr measured on their rig). I am now loathe to even tackle the crossover mods. I've read on this site that others have done exactly what I have done and others modified the crossover too. Has anyone had a similar experience ?

Purchased At:   Tandy (Radioshack UK

Submitted by Douwe de Vries a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought two of them 3 years ago for $50 each when my quad's died. (the quad's lived for 20 years and at that time i didn't have the money to buy Quad's again.)
Modified these heavily. (Larry van Wormers mod, better wiring, better damping, crossover outside the speaker in aseparate box, plugged ports, removed the grills and put a felt pad under the tweeters (total of $70 a speaker) .
Combined with a good sub these are excellent speakers.(I use the Audiopro B2.27 ). with Quad 33 amplifier it's an amazing sound.
Bought another 4 for multi-channel (SACD) system. Have to mod these to , but it is worth it!!!