Optimus Pro LX10 Floorstanding Speakers

4.42/5 (38 Reviews)

Submitted by nigel betts a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
back in 98 i had been walking through a shack store & heard these,just enough in passing that they caught my ear, a year later was in a pawn shop-& picked up a pair cheap,(by now i was getting back into hi-fi)as i needed cheap speakers & these seemed to fit the bill,was impressed by the sound they put out-even then on the low-fi amp i had,later on i managed to get a carver av505 amp,+ a ct-3 av preamp(ebay),only used in stereo--but the sound was great(a good pre & power amp really makes a huge difference),decided to go the home theater route--& got another four lx 10's from ebay for $320.00,+ another 3 linaem tweeter from the shack as backups(on closeout for $5.50ea)part#40-1389,also picked up two carver 5.1 powered subs(yes ebay--$75.00 each).The Lx10's need assistance from subs crossed over around 80--90 hz, this produces the best blend,being a cabinet maker by trade, i am about to embark upon using the six Lx10's that i have to experiment with speaker design--using the base model as a starting point & going from there, the dog having some emotional problems with us moving house decided to pee up one of my original speakers--& so as bad turns to good--the drivers & internals of that one will become a center channel custom conversion as i had to trash that cabinet.this will be an ongoing thing & i shall check back in here every now & then with updates(wish me luck),www.nigelbetts@prodigy.net
my rating is based upon the price + sound + tweakability of these speakers, if you have the inclination to fart around & experiment---you just can't beat these for the price.

Purchased At:   2for$240pawnshop,&4for$320ebay,

Submitted by Christopher Wolff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't normally submit 2 reviews, but I only thought it was fair to give a summary of this product with minor modifications that yield large results.

As it is, mids are a bit muddy and midbass is boomy, I decided to see if this could be corrected without having to resort to new woofers.

I added cross bracing and i tried various dampning materials. I resorted to a drastic dampning material, dense cushion foam. I added 2 layers of 1" foam to the rear, and 1 layer to sides and top of enclosure. I found that this eliminates almost all internal standing waves and signicantly reduces coloration. The result? Tight and accurate mids and midbass, that's right....actually accurate mids. This was not without sacrifice though, as you should know...using a dense material for dampening results in restricted air flow within the enclsure's full volume, therfor resulting in less bass extension. Also, using high amount of dense dampning directly behind the mid drivers results in minor loss of some dynamics. But with the present build of the enclosure, I don't see any other options. That's ok though, I am using the units now at a 80 HZ high pass point. This reduces intermodular distortion and allows midbass to play at high SPL without distortion or much compression so sub bass is not an issue anyways. I never liked the sound of subbass on drivers smalelr than 10" anyways regardless of the brand or quality of the driver. I also bought a new reciever with an A/AB dual class amplifier stage(A class works at low to medium power levels, then stages start switching to work in AB mode at higher power levels), this also adds greatly to the clarity and dynamic range of the speakers in addition to the modifications. The VSX-453 I was using previously was striclty an A/B class amplifier. I considered crossover modifications, but after I priced the parts I decided that an excess of $100 was not a feasible investment for this unit. Besided, modifications would primarily be changing the mid section's low pass circuit's capacitors with prolypolyne type, though would be audible, would be a very negliglbe difference in the low pass circuit. The high pass for the tweeter has a decent quality mylar type capacitor. I may later on experiment with the crossover points/orders but it is reasonably competent at present. I did go ahead and solder all connection to speakers and terminals, but I did not do a direct before/after listening test of this before adding dampning and braces.

After the very minor modifications, this speaker sounds VERY much improved and is an even greater value. Though I still recommend using it actively crossed over and bi-amped with a seperate subwoofer.

-C. Wolff

Submitted by Luigi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use them with a Yamaha rxv-990 surround receiver. Very good highs but muddy mids. Bass is decent but I use a sub for that.

Submitted by Matt Audio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
When i saw in the paper that these twoers were only $99 marked down from $200 i took a ride to the nearest Radio Shack. When i got there i was told that they had sold out so i was bummed. BUt there were the floor models still there and in perfect condition. After i listened to them i knew i had to have them. So i went to the manager and asked about the floor models and i ended up buying them for $75 each. That was a steal. although they lack great bass these speakers just need a little help from a subwoofer. Besides that they are great speakers and and great for the price!!!

Purchased At:   radio shack

Submitted by Christopher Wolff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I came across this product not long after it was first released, thus explaining my "high" purchase price. I was amazed that such a low priced speaker could produce such extraordinary sound, relatively speaking of course. I bought a pair on the spot and have used them with a bi-amp setup using a couple of Pioneer VSX-453 recievers and custom made sub enclosures using Pioneer TS-W251C 10" subs. A Pioneer electronic crossover is used to split the signal at 75 Hz to allow each set to do their job correctly. I use a Pioneer GR-777 EQ to shape my sound output. This is just my bedroom system, it sounds quite good. Phase response and dispersion seem near excellent and I don't know of another loudspeaker set that wouldn't cost at least $1200 that could sound this good...and that is only from a select few, most loudspeakers in the $1200 range sound like toys next to the LX-10, at least as far as mid and high range are concerned. The addition of the bi-amped sub setup fixed most problems but I would like better mid range. I have considered replacing the woofers or at least measuring the existing woofers for their Theile-Small parameters so that I can add volume and change the port tuning to give them a flatter response. I really can't believe that the engineers made such a fabulous system and then punked out with the rediculous f3 and fsb numbers present in the stock form. Also, some people suggested using fiberglass dampen the enclosures. I recommend that you use wool insulation fiber or at very least poly fill. Fiberglass, while probably superior to both, will not do your lungs a whole lot of good with the ported enclosure. Anyways....my final summary is that these speakers rock.

Christopher Wolff