ONIX Reference 2 Floorstanding Speakers

2-way rear-vented design, 2 Atohm 5.25" drivers, Vifa XT Concentric Ring Radiator tweeter, d'Appolitto array, 38Hz-35kHz ±3dB, 4 Ohm impedance, 90dB efficiency, biwire capability, 160lb/pair.

Submitted by wyliec2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
OK..as part of a transition from 5.1 to 7.1 I ordered a pair of Ref 2 b-stock for $1600. Intended to see where they might fit with my M&K 750's...L&R front or maybe L&R rears. Got them in...never been a fancier of light wood...but these maple speakers are just gorgeous to see - shipped with with white gloves to handle them with!

Anyway, hooked them up as front LR..disconnected my M&K's - big difference in efficiency and I didn't feel like getting the meter out and calibrating...so I listened in 2 channel mode...just to see what they sounded like... WARNING - these speakers seduce you...a crystal clarity that exceeded the M&K's...but with a soft, sensual demeanor...hard to describe, but everything (musicwise) sounds great on them. I expect them to equal the M&K's for HT; but I've been up late way too many nights because I just couldn't turn the music off!!

After two nights of listening to the pair of Ref 2's I ordered another pair of Ref 2's and the Ref 100 center channel (same drivers as Ref 2). No way I had ever contemplating purchasing 5 speakers...!!! I've had lots of systems; I really liked my M&K's; but give these speakers a listen with half decent electronics (I'm using a Carver C1000A that will put 300 watts into 4 ohms until my pre-pro + 7 channel amp arrive) - you won't regret it...I can't say enough good things about these speakers...bottom line - I put my money where my mouth is and bought more!!!!

Purchased At:   AV123