Odyssey Audio Lorelei Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by jmitch69 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2008

Bottom Line:
Built like a tank and named after a mythical creature the Lorelei high end speaker is incredible. Using the German symphonic line design, these speakers will amaze you. Their dynamic performance can be contributed by the massive,overbuilt crossover network consisting of Mundorf coils, Audyn and F&T caps. The Lorelei uses the powerful Scan Speak 7" mid-bass(18w/8545). Specifications aside, the Lorelei is simply an ultra high end performer that blows me away every time I listen. The amazing detail and character these speakers portray is second to none. For a 2 way speaker with its very low price point($2700/pair) the competition is very scarce. In Europe the Lorelei sells for approx $7500/pair. It's very clear, a closer listen to these beauties and you'll be hooked!!

These speakers will transform your listening experience !!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Purchased At:   phone order with Kla

Submitted by pauljvl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
ThisLorelei loudspeaker is the SE version meaning that the internal parts are much upgraded ,now using the expensive but superb SonicapsAlphacore copper foil inductors,Groneberrg Reference cable, and WBT cpnnectors ,compared to the older standard model ,Myself and others have found this loudspeaker is still full bodied but much more natural sounding and transparent, the sound stage is huge

Purchased At:   factory

Submitted by hawaiidave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for nearly a year now and I have to say I am still in awe of how good they sound. I am completely satisfied.
The sonic clarity of these speakers are noticeably better the the Totems that I was formerly running as my mains (now used as rears for surround sound). I did my due dillegence in research before making my purchase, but had to make this purchase with a little bit of faith as there were no Loreleis in my area for me to audition. I called Odyssey to discuss my needs and to my surprise I spoke to the owner Klaus. Klaus is a true gentleman and we spent several phone conversations discussing my needs. I finally took the plunge and have been extremely happy ever since. Klaus had told me that I could throw out my subwoofer which I didn't believe, but that is exactly what I did (didn't throw it out of course - now attached to my computer). The bass was tight with no overhang like I had been experiencing before and just not realizing it. The highs and mids are clear and true. I really like listening to my music much more than befoe when I would truly get listener fatigue. I would have expected to pay 2 or 3 times as much as I did to get the quality and clarity I received with these speakers.
Bottom line, they sound great, look great, and are a great value - Thanks Klaus!

System:
River Cable

Purchased At:   Odyssey Audio

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for almost a year now. Needless to say they have had sufficient time for break-in. I am completely and utterly satisfied with these speakers - they meet and exceeded my expectations.
Before buying my speakers I did a lot of homework and had to say this purchase was one of faith as there were no Loreleis anywhere in my area that I could audition. I called Odyssey and was pleasantly surprised that I spoke directly with the owner Klaus - he is a true gentleman and spent a lot of phone time with me before I made my purchase. Customer service is top-notch to say the least. Of course I had a satisfaction guarantee from Klaus that he has not had to make good on as I had stated at the top I am completely satisfied.
These speakers deliever sonic clarity that I would have expected from speakers costing double or triple what these were. Bass is tight, highs and mids are clear. Klaus had told me that I could get rid of my sub from my system, of course I was skeptical, but he was absolutely correct. The bass that come from these speakers is absolutely unbelievable - no overhang of bass like I had before - just tight and clear - the way the music is supposed to sound.
I like to listen to music in two-channel, but my set-up is also used for home-theater. I put my former primaries in the rear for surround sound (Totems) and it is obvious that there is an extreme difference in clarity. The Totems are good - just not up to par with the Loreleis.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE SPEAKERS.

System:
Rotel 1056 receiver
CIA D200s amps (for mains)
Denon 2910
Loreleis mains
Totem rears and center
River Audio cables

Purchased At:   Odyssey Audio

Submitted by BKrueger4690 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'm a trained musician. I got my start in music at the age of five, so needless to say I have a highly trained ear. I've also owned many different stereo components in my 43 years. Each time I made a purchase I'd go from store to store making sure I bought the exact best deal/sound I could find on the component I was looking for. Needless to say these treks were extremely time consuming.

When I decided that it was finally time to buy the "ultimate" system that I had always wanted I started to do research. I started by repeating my previous tact by going to all the local places and auditioning their various components. With that information in hand I then came here to the forums and looked at the reviews for each component. It was during this exercise that I stumbled across the reviews for Odyssey Audio.

Well if you have read the reviews yourself you've probably noticed what I did...this equipment is highly appreciated by those that actually own it. When I actually purchased my system, all of the Odyssey equipment was rated at 5 of 5 by everyone.
None of the equipment that I'd found locally was rated anywhere near that high by the people that owned it. Think about this...when you buy something, don't you want it to be the best stuff and tell everyone about it? I always think that reviews by people that own stuff tend to be slanted a little higher than they ought to be due to that fact alone.

I'll also tell you that it was a leap of faith buying this stuff without actually hearing it first, but ultimately all of the positive reviews won out (the money back guarantee didn't hurt either!), and I called Klaus. I might also mention that I found WWW.AudioCircle.Com extremely convincing as well!

Klaus was extremely helpful! He even talked me out of the higher end Stratos stereo amp and convinced me that the Khartago monos would actually provide better performance at the same price! This wasn't a sales pitch either as I do have the technical background to understand the arguments for mono block amps! Ultimately it became clear that Klaus wanted what provided me the best sound for my wants/needs. I was extremely impressed with his knowledge and helpfulness. It was definitely knowledge and help that I hadn't gotten locally. I decided to purchase the package deal that Klaus was offering.

After having this stuff for a year, I can honestly say chalk one up for the wonders of the internet! This stuff is nothing short of phenomenal! The highs are crisp yet crisp in a warm way. The mids are full yet there is no brashness at all. The bass is as full as it ought to be with plenty of punch. Each note, instrument, and sonic range is detailed and separated. You will not find any "muddy" areas in the bottom end, nor any ear fatigue in the midrange or high end. The stereo sound is full and involving. The components are so clean that I can turn the volume completely up and not hear an ounce of hiss! The only noise you ever hear from this equipment comes from the recorded material.

When listening to CDs that I have had for years, I am constantly hearing notes, passages, and even recording anomalies that I have never heard before, and these are on some of my favorite CDs!! For instance at the beginning of AC/DCs Back in Black I can here the drummer keeping time with his foot on his bass drum pedal, and at the beginning of Stevie Nicks' After the Glitter fades I can here the pianists foot on the pedal of the piano. Don't be alarmed, as this doesn't detract from the music! What it does do is completely amaze me! My friends are floored as well, not to mention a little envious!

If you are in the market for an awesome system, call Klaus at Odyssey Audio. You have absolutely nothing to lose, and you'll greatly appreciate Klaus' knowledge, honesty, customer service, guarantee, and most of all his product! He'll even answer questions after the sale about matching other components to his equipment! Tell me where else you are going to find that!!!

In short, I absolutely love the Odyssey Audio system. It is truly the real deal, and a phenomenal deal at that!

Purchased At:   Direct from Manufact