Occulab Technology 7T Speaker Floorstanding Speakers

3.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $598.00

8-in polypropylene woofer, and 1-in ferrofluid-cooled soft-dome tweeter

Submitted by Buzz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of 7Ts used two years ago from a high-end stereo store for $250 (about 1/2 price). The guy who paid list had them for three months. They were too big for his living area. I was sceptical at first but this is the best $250 I've spent. These speakers are great on the low end (clean, not muddy) and have clean highs. The mid range is somewhat weak, but clean. The imagery is fantastic for the speakers price range.

I recommend the 7Ts highly for a moderatly-priced speaker.

Setup:

Rotel RB-985 THX separates
Yamaha CDX-350- Soon to be upgraded to Yamaha CD 775

Submitted by Kevin Garman a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned the Phase 7-T's for approximately 5 years. These speakers are rock solid. Consumer Reports rated these speakers number 4 in the mid-range price catagory in not only 1998, but also in 1995. They are crisp and clean on the high ends, and incredibly responsive to bass frequencies.
An excerpt from the Phase web site:

Since 1955, Phase Technology and our parent company United Speaker Systems, have been acknowledged leaders in the art and science of high-fidelity loudspeaker.

Phase has been the "manufacturer's manufacturer," building the speakers that have carried the nameplates of some of the most highly regarded names in audio. Phase's patents include the industry-standard soft-dome tweeter, the manufacturing process for solid flat-piston drivers, self-damping woofer voice coil and more.

Once again, I have to agree....the biggest bang for your buck!

After living with these speakers for 5 years, I have to give them......

Submitted by <none> a

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
If you are a home owner or stick to one place and have less than $5000 for a pair of speaker, do not go any further. It is great speaker for the money (under 600). The sound is earthy and live. I have compared the sound of this pair to $1200 B&W which handles slightly better only in classic.

Submitted by AudioMan a

Date Reviewed: February 18, 1998

Bottom Line:
These speakers are a joke. I bought a pair of the model 9T and compared them to my 10 year old JBL's and my JBL's killed them. Not to my surprise, before I brought back these Phase Techs I pulled the woofer out to see a cheaply made speaker with an overly small magnet. Everything inside that cabinet was of poor quality. Any speaker that you have to undress rather than pull a grill off is hiding something. Stay away from these and Cambridge speakers.

If you want value and performance try Pinnacle or Paradigm.

Submitted by Robert Brown a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 1998

Bottom Line:
I listened to the Phase Technology 7-Ts in the dealer's showroom, against a pair of B&W speakers (model number not recalled). I listened to all kinds of source material, from small groups to large, classical to pop. My first impression, that the 7-T has great bottom end, a somewhat veiled though smooth top, and relatively flat range, has proven true in extended listening. I dislike the sizzling highs that characterize many far more expensive speakers (the B&W's seemed more sizzly). My previous speakers (now my supplementary ones) are a pair of FMI 80s (from the apparently defunct Fulton Music Industries of Minnesota), which are still the most musical speakers I know. (God, I wish FMI were still around.) But they are light on the bottom and don't give the same presence to jazz or pop recordings. I'm driving the 7-Ts through the NAD 2140, which has enough peak power to do them justice (although I'd prefer a bit more sustained wattage). These speakers are really quite a value and are just fine for my style of listening.