NSM 10S Floorstanding Speakers

Mini Monitors

Submitted by George Stewart a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
When I changed to a small (12x10x8) listening room (don't ask why), I found my modified Triangle Antals were uncomfotably large, both sonically and visually. The choice seemed to point toward minimonitors, so I read every review I could find on the topic and did a lot of net searching. Finally, I decided to buy NSM 10S minimonitors. This was based upon more than 50 years of "hi-fi" experience with speakers, reading reviews, and information on the NSM website. I also purchased a NSM EXP subwoofer, designed to mesh with the 10S (I Do like good bass).
I have placed the sub on a ASC sub trap and the 10Ss on 30' Sandbag stands, also sold by NSM.
As the speakers are breaking in, it is already clear I made the right choice: they produce true high-end sound.

Purchased At:   direct

Submitted by George Stewart a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
When circumstance rquired I move to a small (12x10x8) listening room, I soon discovered my floor-standinf Triangle Antals were simply too large for the room, sonically and physically. I decided to replace them with minimonitors and a sub.
After reading many reviews and doing a lot of net surfing, I decided on NSM 10S monitors, along with the matching EXP sub and Sandbag stands.
I have made a wonderful choice, in that they are not only better than I expected, they are actually better than I hoped they would be. They are just now really getting broken in, but it is abudantly clear they are smooth, fast, transparent, image like crazy, and (with the EXP) beatifully extended on both ends. All these characteristics are important to me, especially since I mostly listen to large-scale classical music and jazz. Although these speakers sound very good on what little 1960s rock I play.

Purchased At:   Direct

Submitted by Angous a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Fantastic pair of speaker, the review below sums it up very well. Esp, the midranhe which is really delightful, makes the music very listenable. I can listen to this speakers for 10 hours straight with feeling fatigue (I can't do this is Dynaudio, Kef, Apogee).

Warm and huge sounding, if you hide this speakers behind some curtains, I can swear no one will be able to guess that the speakers is actually so small in size. It's ability to project a huge and stable soundstage is simply unbelievable.

Construction is top-notch, if you use your knuckle to knock on the cabinet of this gem, you won't hear any resonance. Due to its seal box design, placement is a breeze and you can place it right against the wall or on a shelf with sacrificing any sonic performance.

I hope to see more NSM dealers around, more people should have a chance to hear this small little gem.

Submitted by Marc a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2001

Bottom Line:

I got a good deal on a used pair of these and have not been disappointed. The soundstage.com review sums up this speaker well, but probably the most surprising aspect of its performance is the full, natural tonal balance. Many small speakers tend to sound thin and bright, but the NSM 10S has a wonderfully smooth character that makes music very listenable. Though it lacks deep bass extension, the mid-bass and midrange are nicely fleshed out. Acoustic music is the 10S's strength and is a joy to listen to. Its tonal character also makes it forgiving of bright electronics, making it easier to match in a typical solid-state/CD-based system. As expected, soundstaging and imaging are also top-notch in the tradition of the best mini-monitors. It will also play surprisingly loud before breaking up; when it finally does break up it does so gracefully, not crashing down in a fit of distortion like lesser speakers. There is plenty enough sound to satisfyingly fill a small to medium-sized room.

Compared to my reference Merlin TSM-M's, it is definitely a tad more laid back, with a slightly fuller lower midrange but perhaps at the expense of exhibiting some slight box colorations in that region, no doubt due to the small volume of the sealed box. The poly woofer, while being very smooth, also tends to gloss over the very finest details in the upper midrange when compared to bettter paper and composite cones, though as i mentioned this also makes it more forgiving of brighter electronics. The spectral balance of the speaker probably tilts ever so slightly downward, with the tweeter being slightly recessed in the mix possibly to compensate for the lack of deep bass; not a bad thing here, but you do lose a bit of detail and "twinkle" in the highest treble compared to the best full range designs.

Still, this is a great little mini-monitor in a delightfully compact, solidly-built package, and is very attractive on its dedicated stands. Erol Ricketts, chief designer at NSM, is also a wonderfully knowledgable and gracious person to talk to and interacts personally with his customers. On an absolute scale I give it 4 stars for sound, but for the purposes of audioreview.com it is definitely 5 stars. For anyone looking for a musically satifsying micro-mini monitor, I highly recommend giving the 10S an audition.

My system:
- Sony DVP-S7700 transport
- Modified MSB Link DAC
- Custom-built integrated amp (based on highly-modified Rega Brio)
- Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cable
- misc. home-brew interconnects (Cardas litz type)

Submitted by chee yiun a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I just migrated from a planar speaker to NSM10s.Now I am convince that small is not bad and its really good.
The vocal is naturally warm and sax is fluid. The sounds flows like water.
Play NARADA new wave and you be amaze by the spatial defination of waterfalls. Close your eyes and you can actually visualize the emotions and sound waves.
For $1150 its value for money. Sound like floor standing speaker. I have match with JAMO SW600 active sub and the sound at mid range can be thunderous. I have match it with a High Current Direct A Harmond Kardan Amp...
The detail is really unbelieveable. I have since heard more instruments in many of my CDs comparing with my previous Maggies. I am HAPPY> Highly recomended.

DQ-10s as the base of a home theater set-up

Hi All, Any thoughts on a center channel that would go well with the DQ-10s but not be too expensive? I don't watch movies seriously but when I do, I want everything to play nice together. If I can sell my wonderful BG X3s which I use as side channels, I would like to replace them with a re ... Read More »

Re-foam vs Advents on DQ-10s

The foam on my ancient Dahlquist DQ-10s is shot. Should I go the expensive route of re-foaming/rebuilding, or go with replacement with newly re-foamed Large Advent 10-inch that I can pick up at a good price? Aren't they about the same?? Thanks!Read More »

Any Advice on Stacking Dahlquist DQ-10s?

Greetings all - I listen to a pair of dq-10s and a dq-1w subwoofer using the dahlquist passive crossover. I have often heard and read about "stacked" speakers. Since i have an extra pair of dq-10's sitting in the basement I have wanted to try stacking them. I have several questions. Is this worth ... Read More »