nOrh 7.0 Floorstanding Speakers

4.63/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $1400.00

Submitted by Tom Berg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2011

Bottom Line:

I bought the first norh 7.0 from Thailand around the year 1998-1999 so I have had the first models in more than 13 years in total, we have purchased 6sæt = 12pcs. ! All Norh 7.0
They are all real wood and I have crossover with both Audiocap 1% polypropylene metal-film capacitors and crossovers with MultiCap capacitors.
All cables are high quality silver wire from Germany,
- Scan-Speak 18W/8545 7 "carbon fiber woofer and Scan-Speak D2905/9300 1" silk dome tweeter.
D2905/9300 tweeter together with silver wires and transistor amplifier with a warm and natural sound. I have also Scan-Speak D2905/9700 tweeters but be careful because they may well be too revealing .. ½ portion of all album recordings are not good ..

A very musical speakers that fit in your sleeping room, the little room under 30m2 otherwise a subwoofer to give the final bottom.
Norh 7.0 can play very loud and still sound good ..
I give 5 stars for this product ..

Submitted by jamie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got the wood 7.0's used from Tyson a while back & they had some tiny hair thin cracks in them. The cracks ended up getting pretty bad so I got some marble cabs to replace them. It was easy to switch em over & quite an improvement. Just like Tyson himself said before there is more detail. One of the 1st things I did was play a few old heavy metal cd's through them. I find it so much easier to find things I don't like over things I do like. I knew I didn't like the sound of monster magnets guitar's much in the 1st place (I'd just recently listened to it thru the woods) & I wanted to see if I heard anything differently. I instantly thought it sounded worse than ever...same with the guitar on an old Cult disc. Just like that little warning on cd's that I didn't understand years ago when cd's 1st came out states. "Compact disc's may reveal limitations of original recording" or something like that. Now I hear it more than ever & it also helps I've spent some time in the studio myself recording guitars. You can hear so much detail with these speakers that the bad stuff is worse than ever. If the tape was overly saturated you can hear the tapes distortion.
On the other hand...Diana Krall, fiona Apple, Aimee Mann & all my "clean" cd's sound more lifelike & natural than ever.
That's the curse of high end stuff...but this double edge sword is totally worth it to me. Lot's of very heavy music still sounds great...it's just the poorly recorded stuff you have to look out for. I'll stick with more punk & metal in the car. I am constantly amazed at how much I love these speakers...& I loved the wood previously.

Submitted by Tyson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
Hmm, I just realized that I have replaced my wood 7.0's with the marble 7.0's several months ago & I have never posted my impressions of the new speakers. I had both speakers in my home for about 2 months, so was able to do some extensive comparison. I will try to keep this short as my last review (below) of the wood 7.0 was pretty extensive & I just want to point out the areas where the marble 7.0s sound different.

So, let me say for the record that the marble enclosures do make a rather signifigant difference in the sound of the 7.0's - The slight warmth I noted earlier on the wood speakers is now gone. The marble 7.0 is as close to a truly neutral sounding speaker as I have heard when it comes to overall tonal balance. The highs sound about the same on both speakers (I have the 9500 tweeter on both the wood and the marble speakers, but the 9700 tweeter is now standard with the marble 7.0, and yes, it is a better tweeter - more detailed & pure sounding, but also more revealing & thus less forgiving to poor recordings). The bass and the mids is where the differences are. The mids sound much clearer, cleaner, and more "pure". Little details that normally are buried in the mix are easily discernable. Vocal inflections are not smoothed over, but are laid bare in all their beauty/pain/sorrow/joy, etc. . . . The marbles sound is even more free of the physical speaker than the wood's sound, and that is saying something since the wood speakers were some of the least "boxy" sounding I had heard previously.

The other area that is a large difference is in the bass. The bass does not extend any lower with the marble speakers, but it does sound much more powerfull, almost a "percussive" sound. I think this is because the wood speakers lose just a bit of force as they start reaching their lower cutoff range, while the marble speakers retain the full force of the bass, all the way to the point that the bass response drops straight down off the chart, around 45 hz.

Normally this is the point where I would do a bunch of comparisons with different music & point out in minute detail where the marble and wood speakers differ in great detail. But 2 things make that unnecessary - 1st, the wood is no longer officially available from nOrh, so those comparisons are somewhat pointless. 2nd, the marble is slightly better in most areas & very signifigantly better in the critical areas I mentioned above. Since the 7.0 is now standard with the 9700 tweeter, then I can safely say that the highs are MUCH better also (I stuck with the 9500 tweeter as I know the 7.0's would go in to the HT & my equipment there, while good, is not on par with the 9700 - for the record, the HT uses an Acurus Act 3 processor and Bryston amps for all speakers). Besides, if I ever want to try out the 9700 tweeter in the 7.0's, I just have to order the crossover board for it from nOrh & source the tweeter myself. Changing out crossovers is really not that difficult and changing out the tweeer is even easier. If I ever get a very expensive high end processor, I may do that (something like a Theta or a Meridian, or a Lexicon, or even a Tag).

So, with my current tweeter, the marble 7.0 is a big step up from the wood 7.0. With the 9700 tweeter, it will be in a different league all together (a lot closer to the 9.0, which I also now own). While the price on the 7.0 has increased from $1400 to $2000, I still give it 5 stars for value becuase of the very large performance increase. Overall it is the 2nd best bookshelf speaker I have heard (not counting electrostatic or ribbon based speakers). The best is the 9.0. So I am keeping the overall rating at 5 stars also.

nOrh seems to be one of the new wave of high value/high performance internet direct type companies that are just cleaning the clocks of their B&M competition. If the look of nOrh speakers is not for you, I highly recommend that you check out some other online companies such as ACI (www.audioc.com), Newform Reseach (www.newformresearch.com), VMPS (vmpsaudio.com), or North Creek Music (www.northcreekmusic.com). For a good sub to go with these great speakers, VMPS makes a couple of good ones, as does SVS (www.svsubwoofers.com) and Hsu Research (www.hsuresearch.com). For wire, I really like both bettercables.com (for copper wire & digital/video wire) and for silver wiring in a very high end system I like Pure Silver Sound (www.puresilversound.com).

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   norh.com

Submitted by jamie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these used wood 7.0's from Tyson who reviewed them way down on this list. After all the reviews there isn't much more I can say about these speakers. I really like them. I'm not very technical so I might not be able to describe this little problem but at low volumes I can hear the tweeter a little more than the woofer. The frequencies aren't very flat. Really this is only at a volume lower than I would normally listen to music though. When the phone rings or something & I turn the volume down low I think they sound a little raspy. This could be my room or maybe marantz amps, or cambridge audio cd players or even kimber kables aren't the best match with these speakers. I've only had them a few days so far so I haven't messed with them much. They did sound a little better at Tysons place but his other equipment is all completely different than any of the stuff I use. I don't have stands for them yet. When I 1st set em up I used kitchen chairs as stands & thought the sound lacked a little in the midrange then I upped em around 8 inches & set em on 24 inch bar stools, then they sounded much better. I'm still looking for some good stands for them. Once you get the volume up to a good listening level the tweeter & woofer blend together perfectly & that's not a problem at all anymore. They can take a lot of volume without distortion. Even at high volumes the woofer hardly moves for how much great sounding bass these things put out. I'm really happy with them. They sound great all through my place & not just in the sweet spot. I've played them non stop the last couple of days & put all types of music through them. One thing that I really liked is that they can rock. I played 2 black sabbath cd's all the way through for the 1st time in a few years (since I had large advents). I've had mmg's the last couple years & couldn't listen to much heavy rock guitar though them. Even though I criticized the tweeters at low volumes I hafta say they are pretty amazing when played at a normal to high volume (mine have the 9500 instead of the normal 9300 scanspeak). Cymbals & little chimes sound just like they are supposed to & when Johnny Cash or Tom Petty strum an open chord on an acoustic guitar you can really hear every string clearly. I was afraid I might be losing some of the detail I was getting from the magnepans but I'm not missing them. Fiona Apple's Tidal cd was one of my favorites with the mmg's so I had to give it a close listen & I wasn't disapointed. Her piano sounded huge & clear & all the delicate little things like her breathing sounded sexy as ever. They sound different than what I'm used to but I'm loving them more & more as I get to know them. They aren't as transparent as the mmg's but they sure don't sound like boxes either. They are very lively & easy to listen to anywhere in the room. The one slight problem I had with the mmg's is that sometimes I would hear some reflections off my fireplace on that side of my room. I don't seem to have that problem any more. I'm rattlin on & I'm mostly just tired from staying up all night listening to them. I must have played well over 100 different songs all day yesterday & into early this morning. I was having to much fun & just couldn't stop until I actually passed out. One more thing to sum this up. When your girlfriend says those speakers sound great then you know she's a keeper & so are the speakers.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Rock a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
Mel posted the same garbage on the Newform Research 645 page and the norh 9.0 page. Obviously he is going around and ruining 5 star ratings. I doubt Mel heard these speakers, both nOrh and Newform are direct order companies and can not be auditioned localy. Interesting thought, is Mel a dealer or just a tool? This crap ruins this website.