NHT New Wave Floorstanding Speakers

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

5 satalite + 8" power sub (50W)

Submitted by dharmaboy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers were introduced by NHT to compete with Bose small speakers. They blow anything from Bose away. Of course anything from a reputable audio company like NHT will blow Bose away. Again I'm late for this review. I've enjoyed this speaker set for over 3 years now. For the price they can't be beat. I bought them from a friend brand new in the box. I lived in a small apartment at the time, but after about a year I moved into a new house. The system I have is now in a fairly large great room. I can still tell you that they sound just as great in a large room as they do in a small room. I upgraded from the NHT 8" sub (actually I had 2 of them I bought with the deal) to a PSB Subsonic 7 (15" sub) and that fills in for real low frequencies. I still use my NHT Subs in my bedroom system. They easily go down to 35 hz. The speakers definitely have a lot of warmth to them while still giving you nice definition in the higher frequencies. Mids are sweet and when you pair all that with a good sub, you've covered the whole gamut!!! Great investment especially since I used to upgrade my speakers so frequently. If you find them, snatch up a set quick!

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
these are the first nht speakers i've ever owned and i'll tell you what, when some more $$$ comes my way, i'll upgrade to the vt series. i absolutely love everything about nht. i have owned Psb's,and even bose(the worlds most overpriced and worst sounding speakers) and none of them have been able to compare to the sound you get from nht's. even there entry level new waves which i'm writing about blow doors on any system you get for under a G.
I purchased the 5 satilite speaker system minus the sub(just because it was discontinued) instead, i used an infinity BU-80 sub, which i think compliments the system perfectly. and let me tell you, anyone who has purchased an acoustimass system has been ripped of. for several hundred dollars less you could have steped into the world of nht's and been 110% satisfied, not 50-50. the cyrstal clear sound you get from the 3" driver and 3/4" tweeter are amazing. Sure they're no super ones, but for the $$$, and if you have a small to mid room, these will do you just fine. i mostly use them for home theater, watching a game, playing video games, but they sound just as good for when i want to listen to music. if you're planning on purchasing a new wave system make sure you buy a decent sub, because these little guys have no bass; pref one from nht(SW10) or do what i did and find something that will compliment the system.

Purchased At:   Audio Design

Submitted by Jim Gitzlaff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought this set more than a year ago because I read great reviews of how it, along with the Energy Take 5 set, was the best bang for your buck in the small-room $500 surround market. I saw the New Waves advertised for $400 incl. Fed Ex & snapped the set up. After using the New Waves for a few months, I learned that they are a decent set of speakers for the price but the carry important caveats.

Certain types of music was reproduced very well. Simple recordings with uncluttered tones (e.g., Steely Dan, most electronica) were reproduced surprisingly well. The New Waves use drivers that are just large enough to produce flattering sound. The subwoofer kicks in at around 200 Hz, which tells you that it is more of a "woofer" than a true sub -- however, in practice the sound is more than adequate for the sort of small room that the product was originally designed for.

Other genres of music faired poorly. Basically, any music that forced the speakers to handle lots of different wavelengths at the same time came out muddy and garbled. For instance, some tunes by Liz Phair (heavy guitar & percussion over female vocals), or by CSN (complex vocal harmonies over bass and percussion) utterly overwhelmed the tiny litle drivers.

After a couple of months I replaced the front three New Waves with NHT SuperZeroes and everything cleared up beautifully. See the consensus reviews on NHT's fine SuperZeroes for more info. But all was not lost as to my New Wave investment: I kept two of the New Waves for surround sound, plus the New Wave "sub" (with its high-pass filter turned down to kick in at approximately 50-75 Hz, to better match the SuperZeroes). In these limited roles, the New Waves work just fine in my small-room environment.

Purchased At:   onecall.com

Submitted by Philbert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
To be honest I have never heard these speakers. But I was doing some research at the NHT web site. Apparently these speakers where introduced in 1996. And discontinued in 1998. Well I just had to say that these speakers died almost as fast as it's namesake. The New Wave movment in the early eighty's. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of new wave. It has been influentual. But as a musical movements go, it died pretty fast. So considering that I have not hear this product, I can not give it one star or five. So I will give it 4 stars. And 4 for value. I thank all of you for reading my rambling. Oh by the way what is up with
the Kharma Grand Enigma Refrence System. I have been up and down the isles of Kmart, Walmart,Best Butt,Circut City.
And I have never seen these speakers. I must be bind in one eye and can't see out of the other. You would think that speakers that big, would stick out like dog balls. good day every one and a happy new year to everyone. yes even to the much maligned CE.

The title wave begins, New Line goes Blu

Well here comes the title wave of blu support. New Line is going with its parent company to blu. [quote]With Warner Bros. announcing that they are exclusively supporting Blu-ray, one of their sister studios, New Line Cinema, was apparently not on the cards. However, it has been revealed that th ... Read More »