NHT Absolute Zero Floorstanding Speakers

• 5.25" woofer
  • 1" aluminum dome tweeter

Submitted by merid a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I gave up $3,500 Stereophile Class B speakers to go back to these with the old NHT Sub One i . Along with the Super Zero, these rock. Sure there were some incredible things about the last pair and about other expensive speakers i've owned. he problem is that if something really stands out in a speaker, then it's probably not really balanced sound. One thing I did do is put a $1,200 amp on these. But that's not a big deal and not necessary if you have another decent amp.

The new Super Zero 2 is coming out. I don't think it will best these and it already shows a lot less bass in the specs., but it will be fun comparing!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Cap'n Jazz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought two pairs of NHT Absolute Zeros and the NHT Classic 2C center channel to replace my Athena Micra 6 surround sound system. While the Athenas were pretty great for movie watching, they left a lot to be desired for multichannel and stereo music. I spent a long time looking at alternatives, hoping to move away from micro-mini satellites to something in the bookshelf / monitor range that still waasn't too big (my listening space is around 1500 cu ft). For a long time Aperion speakers seemed like a good step-up, until I noticed the NHTs in J&R music world. A friend of mine had suggested NHT as a pretty reliable audio brand and they are currently the smallest speakers out there (that I'm aware of) with a 5.25" woofer and 1" tweeter. Recently I completed my new system with an SVS SB12-plus subwoofer.

Results? Outstanding. While the NHT speakers were not a huge improvement for Dolby Digital soundtracks, they do offer a deeper soundstage and incredible imaging to match the Athenas and best them by just a little (detail in the center channel improved quite a bit also). Stereo music quality improved by leaps and bounds, however, so I'm very pleased in that regard. My CDs sound better than ever and SACDs are noticeably improved.

Since these are relatively inexpensive speakers I have noticed a few weaknesses. Even though classical music and jazz have greatly improved clarity, depth, and dynamics with the NHTs, they do not match the quality of my Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 30s in terms of detail or weight. Pianos and tenor sax sound a little thin in comparison. The AEs are floorstanders with aluminum midrange drivers and 7" woofers, however, so the comparison probably isn't fair. But it is good to note if the NHTs are going to be your primary sources.

Overall I'm happy and I think these are a good value. I have not compared them to similarly priced offerings from Aperion, Wharfedale, or Axiom, however. If I had more time and money...

Purchased At:   J&R