NHT HDP-2
Description: 3-way, Acoustic Suspension, Hybrid Dipole Wall-Mountable Speaker - 6.5" Long-Throw Woofer, Two 4.5" Midranges And Two 1" Fluid-Cooled Soft Dome Tweeters - Each Side Houses A Version Of The SuperZero Speaker, While In Between And Firing At The Wall Is A 6.5" Woofer

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
These pair of speakers are better than my old VS2.4 surround. I added them to my current 2.4(5.1 system). The image of the sound is much better.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Nathan the Limey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great dipoles, spread sound over a wide area. Much better than bipoles. High output (125W) fab finish- gloss black. Very neutral sound, not harsh warm either warm. No problems with DD material.

Submitted by Alberto Jimenez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
Nice speaker when you can't place surrounds behind you. Creates great surround sound. I have Infinity's mains and center, NHT subone and Sony STR 777ES. I am pleased with both HT and music performance.

Purchased At:   Worldexchange @ eBay auction

Submitted by Ryan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
With my Super 2s up front along with my Super Center DVDs sound amazing. I considered getting Super Zeros for surrounds, but when I heard the HDP 2s with Fifth Element in the DVD player while at the local hifi store I HAD to have them. They sound very convincing. Esentially I did buy four Super Zeroes (2 per side) with the bonus of 2 wall firing 6 1/2"s (1 per side). Since my system has all matching drivers I really cannot tell any separation whatsoever when there are side to side pans or front to back pans. I love it! I really enjoy my HT system and do not plan on upgrading for a VERY long time, especially since I think I would have to spend at least twice as much to get significantly better results as far as speakers go. Thanks NHT for making great, value oriented, reliable products.

Submitted by J D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I first researched my home theater needs, I came across the NHT HDP2's. Although pricey at $800 a pair, I could not be happier. With forward and rear firing drivers with a wall firing woofer, the sound that comes from them covers almost the full range. As a result, when the helicopter flies in from the left, or lightning hits off in the distance, you actually look over your shoulder!

In addition, because of the configuration and the sidewall mounting, the sound is much more diffused than rear, forward facing speakers would be. It definitely improves the "surround sound" experience.

On the downside, because of their size (17"Lx11"Hx9"D), they do stand out when mounted on the wall. In addition, the location is very important. To sound their best, they need to be mounted even with the sitting area and a foot from the ceiling. If you have an odd shaped room, or if your system is not centered proper placement can be challenging. A quality pre-amp helps though.

B&K Reference 20
Adcomm GFA-7500
Sony DVP-7700
DIY fronts, center and sub
NHT DHP-2