NHT 2.5i Floorstanding Speakers

4.55/5 (118 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Vented 8in woofer, 6.5in mid, 1in tweeter

Submitted by positivefiction a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for 13 years. I have also owned other speakers in that time, an arsenal of amps, receivers, cd players, record players, media streamers, and over 13 years, the only thing I have not replaced are the NHT 2.5i's.

And here's why. They're frigging stellar!

I've owned speakers by Dynaudio, Spendor, PSB, Polk, and the NHT's are the only speaker that tells me what my equipment sounds like. They dissapear, in the best way possible. When set up right, there's nothing in my room but music. I don't hear the speakers. Just music. With every other speaker I have owned, it was only a matter of time until I heard the speaker. With the NHT's, I just hear the music (and occasionally, the weaknesses in my audio equipment).

As many users have said before me, they require quality power. It's true. They like current. Just true watts. And something that can come close to doubling it's output into 4 ohms. I settled on a Parasound 250w stereo amp, but basically, just find one with a sound you like, and go forward with it.

When they're set up right, with the right equipment, the NHT's weave a delicate balance between transparency and emotion. It doesn't sound like music coming out of boxes. It just sounds like music in my room. Plain and simple.

They're also one of the only speakers I've ever owned that are detailed without beating me over the head with the fact. My Dyns and old Energy's would occasionally sizzle as if to shout "LISTEN TO THAT GOD DAMN DETAIL SON!!!" The NHT's just gently allude to the fact, sound great at all volumes (especially low-mid ones), and don't seem to have an obvious weakness. If I had to pick anything, it'd be the bass, as it can seem a bit absent at times, and a touch boomy if set up wrong. Compared to some speakers, they can get a little overwhelmed with orchestral music, but love jazz and really jam with rock. And man, they get crazy good with modern ambient and drum and bass!

I can really go on (and would), but ultimately, they're awesome! Better than speakers I've owned that cost more, and can be found for rediculously low prices on the used market now. If you can afford the current they require to make them open up, they'll reward you with some fantastic moments listening to your favorite music. Out of every audio purchase I've made, the 2.5's are definitely the most rewarding.

Submitted by Horgen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
Great looking and sounds great! Best speaker i have had the pleasure fo owning. I just felt the urge to listen through all my cd`s just to hear all the details this speaker reveals. I have heard speakers that cost 5 times what i paid, but my 2.5i actually sounds better than most of them.

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Horgen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by aram gegaregian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough about this speaker! This is actually my first floor standing speaker. Always ran with the bookshelf/sub set up which I had a lot of success with, but decided to shop for a full range speaker that can deliver a satisfying frequency range response and soundstage. OneCall.com had these speakers for almost half price with full manufacture warranty. After lots of research and auditioning at this high end store down south from where I live, I jumped on them. What a great buy! My amplification consisted of the Rotel RB 1070 (130 watt per) and it sounded pretty dammed good. Decided to upgrade to a pair of 200 watt monoblocks (Sherbourn. These mono's can produce 300 watts @ 4 ohms. I must say that the speakers really opened up, which reinforced my thought that these 2.5i's can be a bit power hungry. Again, the Rotel did an excellent job with current delivery, but the Sherbourns took my speakers to the next level. Now the bad news that are not the fault of the NHT's. Decided to leave the spacious apartment life and buy a home. My living room is fairly large, but dimensionally not the best. I had it made with my previous apartment, but with my proud, humble home, I don't have that ideal speaker placement that I once had. Enough said, I'm still sold on these NHT's! The best I've auditioned for under $2k.

Purchased At:   One Call.Com

Submitted by calvin taylor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've read and listened to many reviews of this particular speaker, and I'm confused to what speaker could these guys be listening to. Several reviews have this speaker sounding bright, non transparent, and I even heard someone say that the bass was weak.
Now let me say a few things about this speaker here. I've had this speaker since July 2001. First thing I would say is that this is not a wimp speaker. It is not to be mated with a reciever, I don't care what brand. It needs a real amplifier, with real current. If you can manage this you will get a speaker that opens up like no other $1,500.00 speaker on the market, but you must get current. The speaker wire is also a determining factor. If you have that can carry ultrawide bandwith and some good current, you have a match made in heaven. You must have a source that can deliver true open sound. When I upgraded my power cord (PS Audio), it was able to reveal all of the improvements that the cord made. And the soundstage is awesome, especially if you can get the correct placement. And I don't even think mine are placed at best location possible, but they fight their way thru anything. What a speaker. I've heard the Thiel 1.6 and 2.3. I've heard the Martin Logan Aoen's. I've heard the Polk Audio LSI series. and also some other top notch speakers. And when I got back home I fell in love my system all over again. Way to go NHT. Too bad NHT wants to focus on hometheater, because they were kicking serious booty.

P.S. Don't forget, you must have current and loads of it. And for you tube single ended wimps don't even try, your amp will cry for mercy. Stick with those 98db efficient wimps.

Purchased At:   J and R music