NHT 2.3s Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by baseballgod a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers off Ebay bravely having nothing to go by but the reviews here and the fact they had been Stereophile Magazine recommended components. I must say these speakers deserve he 5 of 5 rating or at least close to it. The strengths are many the weaknesses are few and far in between. I have listened to speaker upon speaker and I am afflicted with what people call "upgraditis" Basically if there is something better out there I want it. For the price I paid all the way up to theoriginal $1200 asking price of the speakers I have not heard a smoother sweeter sounding speaker. It's very musical and the bass is sufficient for all but the lowest music and movie sound. I hardly ever use my 2 subwoofers when I am listening to music. I use a Sony ES amp to power the speakers. I have them each on top of a subwoofer in the front corners of the room. Height from floor is probably 14-15" The best thing about this position is the midrange and tweeter drivers are alomst at the level of my center channel speaker for a nice seamless soundstage. Not only is the bass deep and tight, the mids are very crisp and the highs are so sweet...it just seem like these speakers are "just right" what I like most is the smooth sounds from these speakers no boomyness in the bass and no harshness in the treble. These bad boys make beautiful music I dont see myself needing a new set of speakers for a long time to come.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought my 2.3s in 1994 at a discount store. They had been on display for a couple of months at $717 with no takers. I gave in to temptation and made a deal an the 2.3s, an nht1.1c and a yamaha 870 for $1200.
I found out the 2.3s weren't sheilded and interfered with my tv. The 2.3s wound up at camp hooked up to a small nad. They sounded great with music.
Now I have more space available and have gone to dolby digital. I added a set of nht superones and a klipsch subwoofer and have a great home theater.
I kept my yamaha and the maggy smg set up for music. As good as the nhts are the maggys are unbeatable on music.

Purchased At:   Mardens

Submitted by Steven Bucci a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers about two years ago at stereo exchange. At first I was a little wary about buying a used speaker, but I needed something to fill in while my friend borrowed my 2.5s. I must say that when I hooked them up, I told my friend to keep the 2.5s. These speakers are truly unbelievable if not a little weak in the bottom end. But match them up with a good sub and you've got a killer combo. On another note, I recently did a in-home demo of KEF RDM 3, and still went back to the NHTs. If you can find a pair, by all means pick them up

Purchased At:   Stereo Exchange

Submitted by Paul a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had these now for 7 years and I still marvel at their beauty and sound capability. As is typical for high end speakers, your ears never hurt even at very high db because their are no frequencies that are over-emphasized or clipped (a great amp helps). The SW1P subwoofer like all NHT subs has the ability to cross out lows to the sub. It's highly recommended for the 2.3s because it allows the smaller woofers to focus on the meat of the music/movie. IMPORTANT: The sweet spot for these speakers is about 12 inches off the ground and thus I highly recommend raising them with either a homemade or commercial stand....you won't believe the difference in sound. If you have a chance to test or listen to them, have a friend (strong) lift one off the ground while listening to just the one speaker...it will suddenly fill the room with sound at about 12 inches off the ground. I have a pair of stunning Infinity Reference Standard II's from the '80s that are unriveled in sound reproduction, however these NHT's are equal at nearly 1/4th the size and 1/8th the price. The 2.5's were a replacement and I believe far inferior as NHT was simply trying to satisfy those that complained about the 2.3 bass. Unfortunately it changed the dynamic of the speaker drastically and made a combo with a good sub generate far too much bass for true sound reproduction. Finally, nobody does a better job at finishing a speaker (except maybe KEF) than NHT...and they're not even expensive!

Purchased At:   wholesaler

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Purchased by NHT 2.3's at least 8 years ago and haven't needed to complain about their performance once. These are the best speakers I have had. I have had Bose 901's, Bose 10.2's, NHT 2.5's, and others but I have always gone back to my 2.3's. Sold or returned the others.

Have my NHT 2.3's, NHT SW1P 10" sub-woofer w/mono amp, and NHT Center Channel speaker putting out sound from a Philips FR940 Receiver, Toshiba SD 3109 DVD Player, and Panasonic 4 Head HiFi VCR. Need to get some rear satellite speakers at some time in the future, but for now it stills puts out some quality sound.

Would definitely recommend a pair of NHT 2.3's if you can find them. They haven't been built since 1992.