Newform Research Module 30 Floorstanding Speakers

5" Peerless mid-bass with 30" wide dispersion, monopole Ribbon.

Submitted by Guy Beck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I began looking for a good ribbon speaker back in the mid-90s. Part of my problem was that the only ribbon speakers available were simply monsters, six feet tall and two feet wide. Looking at the Newform Research Module 30s I had some reservations but once hooked up to my Rotel Power amp I was simply amazed. Most of my musical tastes run toward classic jazz and the Module 30s excel with this style of music. Take a listen to Gene Ammons playing his thick full sounding sax, close your eyes and you would swear he was live in your living room. Even very suttle sounds such as the players hands moving around the instrument seem to be amplified and enhance this "live" experience. These speakers are not only accurate but convey an extreme spaciousness. I have literally owned about fifteen different speaker systems throughout the years. Most of these systems were out the door in a year or so. I have had my Newform Research Module 30s for five years now and since then have not heard anything close. Buy yourself a pair you won't be sorry.

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased 2 30" ribbons and integrated them into my own design back in 1994. It is very similiar to what is sold by Newform Research. They are mated with 2 6.5" woofers and a seperate subwoofer. I have lived with these speakers for 8 years. Every time I upgrade to better cables, amps or whatever they only sound better and better. If there is a limit to the sound quality of my system it certainly is not the Newform Research speakers. In addition to their smooth sound they continue to amaze me with their imaging ability. Mine are toed in and about 8 feet apart. The amount of music (especially voices) that come directly from the center of the room between these speakers is almost eerie. My system also doubles as a home theater. I neither have nor need a center speaker in my surround sound setup. These ribbons have have such incredible imaging all signals that appear equally in both speakers at the same time (voices) sound like they are coming directly from my projection screen. Also, after 8 years of use they exhibit no signs of wear, weakness or any stretching.

Purchased At:   Direct from Newform

Submitted by Mike Pageau a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
I will start this review by quoting the obvious:

a. All speaker designs have compromises. ( Don't expect a mini-monitor to fill an amphitheater or a mammouth horn design to give you a palpable soundstage if you live in a broom closet.)

b. There are few bad speakers, just uninformed choices on the part of the consumers.

I have used the Module 30 and S1 sub for over two years now and they have been the best speakers to grace my soundroom.

I listen to all types of music but I prefer jazz, new age/fusion and small classical ensembles. All at moderate levels of SPL.

For my taste and needs, nothing beats the Module 30 system. This is a high quality product! Don't let the low price fool you! You would have to pay double if you had to go through a distributor/dealer network.

On top of that, the customer service you get from John Meyer
is exemplary.

You would be hard pressed to find a finer speaker system. Unless John comes up with something much better, the Module 30's will remain in my system for a long time.

I welcome your input for discussion.

Submitted by Tom T. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
Matted with a good sub-woofer, the Module 30 provides true high-end sound for less than $1000. They disappear like no other speaker I have ever owned or heard, leaving behind a wide, detailed and well defined soundstage. The ribbon mid-tweeters are detailed and smooth, with no trace of stridency or harshness even at high sound levels. Indeed, their smoothness encourages rather high listening levels. The bottom end is fast, full-bodied and well focused. Workmanship and attention to detail are consistent with a high-end component. Customer support is very good.

Submitted by Bob Whalin a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of Module 30s a few months back and am always amazed at the quality of sound ,tonal balance and imagery these speakers produce. My previous main loudspeakers were a pair of Ohm Walsh 4s ( $4000 a pair) just for jazz and three sets of custom made speakers for rock n roll. The Module 30s (at $990 a pair)makes all that big mass of cabinets redundnt. A pair of good subs ,the newform 30s and decent amp gave me the best sounding system I ever heard let alone owned! Also newforms ribbons make rear channel speakers unneeded due to the way the sound hangs in the air(I guess thats what the waterfall graph represents) I now can listen to the music and not the equipment ! also John Mayer is a class act all the way . He was there before ,during and after the purchase to help ,even returning my calls all the way to Canada.Newfom is the best!!!