MTX Audio AAL2230 Floorstanding Speakers

4.7/5 (20 Reviews)

Submitted by James B Kawasaki a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2016

Bottom Line:
These speakers are amazing and can handle a ton of power. I am trying to downsize and am willing to sell my pair. They have very little use on them. They have never been playing loud for extended periods of time. I've only turned thme up to show my friends. They were rarely used for music. Mostly used for watching movies so them have little playing time overall. Please contact me at rideakawasaki@gmail.com if you are interested in purchasing.

Submitted by Jeremy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have a pair I might be willing to sell. I loved these speakers, they rocked the house during many a party!!! We could crank them up and watch the lights dim in the entire house during long drawn-out 808 bass beats! I remember opening up the patio doors and throwing the football up an down the block in the UWMilwaukee area, you could hear it no problem. Those were the days. I was holding on to them in case I ever got a garage/ shop. Make me an offer.

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
I agree with everyone who posted a review on these! Awesome sound for what these speakers are. Yes they DO rock the house nicely! So here's the cool part of my story. I was sitting' at home one day about 3 years ago, when my girlfriend calls me and says that I "have to come and check out these speakers". I said "where you at"? She said "I'm at Goodwill." "O.K., I'll be right over." She says: "NOW"! So I jet over there and see this pair of towers sitting there, with her at the guard. I said "nice", and proceeded to pull a grill loose. Hmmm . . . MTX AAL 2230. "What do they want for 'em"? I ask. She says "$7 each." Need I say more?

So, $14 later I'm running them as my front L & R, driven by my Sony STR-D1015 receiver. Infinity SM-122's on the rear channels, and an Infinity Alpha in the front center. Great setup for home theatre, and excellent for rock 'n roll in the stereo mode. (Note: try Pink Floyd "Welcome To The Machine" @ about 2:00 o'clock on the dial!)

Fast forward to spring 2014. I start building a pro-audio rack system with all Behringer components. An UltraFex Pro EX3200 Sound Enhancer, followed by an UltraGraph PRO FBQ 1502 Equalizer w/feedback detection, then into an iNUKE NU1000 Power Amp! That's right folks - 1000 watts. 2 x 500 @ 2 ohm, 2 x 300 @ 4 ohm, or 2 x 150 @ 8 ohm.

So, now we have the 300 watts per channel to drive these monsters. Holy Crap! Mine and everyone else's jaws dropped to the floor! That moment was AWESOME. (Pink Floyd, "Welcome To The Machine") That test drive @ 0dB was VERY memorable to say the least. Beside myself and small group of family and friends, I believe my neighbors were equally impressed. In spite of closing all the doors and windows before embarking on this journey, Johnny Law showed up within 20 minutes or so, and told me that they had received NUMEROUS phone calls.

I now make sure that the time of day is appropriate, and I only "crank" @ 0dB for short periods of time. I've been hammering these MTX speakers for about 6 months now, with no appreciable loss of sound quality. These are my house speakers of choice.

If anyone has some of these MTX's for sale, please, please contact me!

Jason, there is your answer!

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
These speakers are insane! The only reason I gave them a 4 instead of 5 for overall is due to their insatiable appetite for power. Who can provide 600 watts to these monsters? I was told, on good authority, that MTX decided one day to throw 2 car audio 12" woofers in a huge box with a mid and horn and sell them as home audio, which would explain their ridiculous power consumption. That being said, I am powering mine with a Harmon Kardon AVR-635 ("75" watts per channel, msrp $1300) and these beasts will make pictures go crooked! The water in a glass 15ft away looks like an ocean it vibrates so much.

If you are fortunate enough to find these for a fair price I highly reccommend buying them! If you are selling yours...feel free to contact me. I can't even imagine what 4 of these would do!!

Submitted by Cooper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have aal 2230 mtx speakers for sale, excellent condition.