MTX Audio AAL1540 Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Mike Eckman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Whoever posted that childish review of these speakers should be banned from this board. Although people can say what they want about MTX's car speaker quality, most people dont know about their home speakers, and based on my experience with these speakers, they are GREAT!! I got these suckers for $150 a piece at a going out of business sale at a local stereo store back in 1994 and to this day they still sound as good as the day I got them. I originally had them running through an old Sherwood receiver, then a Pioneer receiver, my friend let me borrow his Carver 35 amp a while back, so I had them hooked up to that, and now I have them running through my current Sony STRDE845. Considering these are relatively cheap speakers, and werent made with home theater in mind, they have a lot of clarity and alot of VOLUME!!! Their bass response goes down to 22 Hz, and can reproduce the lowest sounds without sounding muddy. They have a 10 year warranty, and seeing as Im only into my 6th year, Im hoping these last for many years to come. They still make these speakers, but as a slightly different model number, and I dont believe the current ones are 4 Ohm speakers anymore, but regardless of the impedance, Ive been VERY happy with mine.

Purchased At:   Musicraft, Homewood, IL

Submitted by Thor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Have had these suckers for three years and bought them one year used. I run them off of a Denon AVR-1200 that is three years old. My college roommates were quite the party animals and pushed these speakers to their limits repeatedly. After much abuse they still put out as well as the day I first heard them. For $100 a piece 1 year old I can't imagine a better bargain. If you want a loud, full sound, these are great.

Submitted by xray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great sounding speakers for 100$...wow....They have great mid's and highs. Bass is good too down to 22 htz.
Should crank it on a 8 ohm system though. I will see if they last..I like to crank the music up..

Submitted by Andrew Clark a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1998

Bottom Line:
These speakers are available for 150 buck a piece at HH Gregg every day, and they are worth every penny of it, assuming you like to crank it. The horn tweeter screams with a pounding 15 inch woofer right below it. 5 and 3 inch midranges fill out the sound. Not an audiophile speaker in the least, but for those who party all night these are every bit as good as Vegas and cost half as much.