Mordaunt-Short MS30i Floorstanding Speakers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1499.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by QuangX Nguyen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought the pair of speaker 2 year ago , but now I still be amazine about the sound . When I listen the diva voice , the clean and honey sound make my mind lost of everything around . It 's a best speaker for vocal under 1k USD .

Purchased At:   Electronic Shop

Submitted by Gabe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for several years. The imaging they are capable of always amazes me. Nick Drake's Pionk Moon sounds like he is in the room with you. And they are very natural sounding. Since they are bookshelfs, they don't have the super low extension you really need for a top line main system, but I ahve found an excellent use for them: Home recording stuido monitors. They easily blow away anything sold in the home studio market, even Tannoys I think. Incredibly good with vocals.

Submitted by Rory Duncan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
Mine are the MS30iclassics (£600 new, but got mine for £200). They sound absolutely gorgeous with my Pioneer PDS505precision cd player, Arcam 8p power amp and Rotel Rc870bx pre amp. I'm using Nordost Blue heaven speaker cable (single wired only, as it doesn't make that much difference). Imaging is lovely thanks to the gold-anodised metal dome tweeter. I'm sure that the performance would be improved if I removed the protective grill on the tweeter also. Bass is excellent and punchy thanks to the plastic-based cone and solid phase-plug. Someone commented that the standard 30is had a weak bass below 50hz but thats definetly not true with the classics- I've got mine below 25hz! Mine are on Atacama se24 stands but I'd recommend shorter stands. These are also bass-reflex compared to the infinite-baffle 30is.
If you want this deal, I got them at work where they're flogging them for £190 now!
bargain and they thrash the Tannot R2s and Mission705s!
Works phone number is
01473 610801 and they're brand spanking new!
But hurry, only 2 pairs left!

Submitted by Murphree Hyde a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with all of the below writers. I have owned the MS30i's for over a year and am continually amazed that they are only $550 speakers. I presently have been auditioning a pair of Magnapan MMG's for the last week. Although the Maggies do some nice things and are quite refined from top to bottom, I found myself getting bored. Finally, I put back in the MS30i's and BAM!!! Back came the dynamics,transperancy, openess and detail that I am so used to. And the mid base just smoked the poor Maggies. It was not even a contest. I am not referring to the depth of base, which the Maggies do suprisingly well, but in slam, speed and musical envolvement, the MS30i's won out hands down (thats a good cone driver for you). After hearing the MS30i's also beat out such speakers as the JM Labs Micron Carat (which is a very fine speaker), the NEAR 15M, and the Maggies, I have just concluded that I cannot afford a speaker that can beat the MS30i's at this point. One exception was my friends B&W 805's. The MS30i's just could not beat the accuracy, dynamics and top to bottom neutrality of those fine speakers that cost three times as much. I will give them the 5th star for the value.

Submitted by Jason a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1997

Bottom Line:
I had my 30i's for about a year and I'm still amazed at the sound thatI get for $500. The bass is tight, but does not have the fullest extension
down past 50Hz. The mids are the most impressive about this speaker. I
often compare it with > $1K speakers and I will not let my speakers go.
The mids are just done right, with a lot of detail and great imaging. The
highs are also of high quality.
My system is comprised of the following:
- Conrad-Johnson PV7
- Golden Tube SE-40
- Harmon Kardon CD player (don't know model)
- Kimber PBJ interconnects, Kimber 4vs Bi-wire