Mordaunt-Short MS206 Floorstanding Speakers

4.25/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $649.00

Submitted by Ben brown a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2014

Bottom Line:
I don't know what year these beasts came out but tbh I found mine next to a skip brought them home not a thing wrong and oh my god the quality and bass they produce is furnominal. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH THEY WERE WORTH BRAND NEW AND WHAT WATTAGE THEY PLZZZZ!!!!

Submitted by corsa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
Brought these speakers secondhand on the fact that my mate said "you like your music, You'll love these".
So i brought them!

Got these setup in my front rooms with a 300 watt yamaha amp and the only way i can describe them is jaw dropping. The bass isn't boomy just night a low a deep the bass you can feel.

I play dance music with these and i find that the voice is alittle to pitched but the bass is fantastic!

When ever mates come round i just have to show them in action!

Positioning is key! i had these either side of the TV and they didnt sound as good.

Now i have these either side of the room toed in.

SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Al Rutherford a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Unfortunately, Mordaunt-Short stopped producing this line in 1998. What that meant though, was that I found them being sold at 30% of the reatail price - new.

I bought them there and then over the phone, the minute I got the magazine home... Why? I hadn't even heard them. Well - I guess a price that cheap, a speaker that looks this stylish, and a respectable British name did it.

I agree entirely with Frank and his review. they do look good with the grills on (but I think they look yet better without them) - but they do impact the treble a great deal. Leave 'em off.

The treble can be bright - I'm fairly certain this is a trait of MS speakers - but it's a small matter when weighed against their clarity and detail. The grills can help with the brightness - but don't try it, you lose too much in imaging.

The bass does go low. Not bad - at all - for such modestly sized speakers. But do crank them up a bit to get the full benefit of this, they come alive with a bit of volume.

Put simply - if you paid the reatil price for these (about $550 - 650), you'd be very satisfied. They're right up there with the best of em.

If like me, you paid $200 - well. Frankly, I dont think there's ever been a better hifi purchase made! Very good speakers full stop. Fantastic speakers taking into account the value.

If your looking for some floorstanders that give *excellent* value for money, and blow some $700 speakers out of the water, and you're lucky enough to find a pair of these being sold - they're not produced anymore :o( - BUY them.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by Frank Stijnen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great speakers, I regularly check new models and brands but I have not found speakers wich are better sounding, unless you are willing to pay two or three times as much. I listen to them without the fronts, unfortunately (they look great), because they cause a loss of defenition in the sound. This is maybe why the treble is a little bit sharp at high volumes. They bass is great, they go very deep for such little drivers, the mids and treble are simply astonishing in liveliness and defenition. The difference with the B&W's was simply to big.
The pure british sound, I simply just love it.