Monitor Audio Studio 6

Submitted by Ricardo Takao Oikawa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased those loudspeakers on Mercado Livre (Brazilian Ebay) from a Brazilian audiophile in 2006. The loudspeakers was discontinnued at that time but for lucky it was in mint condition. Actually, the previous owner hadn't used them enoughly to break in.
When I first audictioned them I found their mid a bit bright (thought their clarity) and the low and mid-bass shy. After breking in for about two weeks, the MA Studio 6 came to life. The mid and upper frequencies became silkier and macrodinamics and microdinamics came out. The bass they produced was suprisingly deep and fast, more than enough to listen to rock, blues and pop. In comparison to my previous spekaers (a 1000 thousand dolars British Acoustic Energy AE120 floor stander loudspeakers), I'd say Studio 6's bass, despite being not as low and punch as AE 120, is much more natural, faster and controled. The trebles are never harsh and have great resolution, even in upper frequencies. Soundstage is large and deep, with everything tidy (all instruments very focused). Anyway, where the refered speakers really show their ability is as regards resolution, clarity and sublte of the mid band. Cymbals are impresively real, microdinamics are fantastics and even subtle details can be heard.
Unfortunately I haven't heard lots of standing mount loudspeakers. In comparison to B&W Matrix 805, Studio 6 outperforms it in macrodinamics and bass extension. In relation to b&W 705, there's no comparison, as Studio 6 is better to the former in all sense. I have no doubt Studio 6 outperforms any modern sub 800 pound speakers in British market.
I haven't to listened to Acoustic Energy AE1-MKII/MKIII, AE2-Signature, B&W Nautilus 805, Celestion SL700, but in comparison to those I have already listened to, Studio 6 are the best stand mount speakers.

Purchased At:   FROM A FRIEND IN BRA

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
As for what others may think, I really don't give a damn. I speak of course about the guy at the Hi-Fi shop who will shoot down anything that he doesn't sell.

I auditioned speakers for 2 months before quite accidently finding these used at a local shop. I was very close to buying the Totem Arro when I stumbled onto these. I brought them home to audition and it was love at first listen. I know that they don't have great bass, but, who cared. I listen to jazz and most of it is vocal jazz other than Miles, Grusin and a few others. The soundstage is exceptional, but it is the clarity and the transparency that will make you sigh.
I swear, Dianah Krall was in the room with me last night. I could hear her lips part just before she sang a note. And, Ella, Oh! Ella. She lives. And, try Manheim Steamroller doing the Disney themes. They will find some bass when they need it.

Did I bother to tell you that I really like these speakers? I do not have expensive stuff. But, whatever it is produces great music.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by pha-le a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am lucky to have these ROSEWOOD LACQUER piano finished speakers at a very good price. They sound beautiful! Sweet! Classical music is just perfect with them. I love their look especialy the rosewood is an amazing finish. Get them if you can because they sound better with age!

The guy who bad-mouthed them about dynamic should not be allowed to put comments in this forum. I don't know if he realy owned a pair so just speculated from a prejudiced mind.

Purchased At:   a friend

Submitted by itisidemasterspy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've puchased these 'best-buy-ever' speakers 18 months ago. I thought I knew the speaker.. but last month I hooked up my new Van den Hul CS - 122 HYBRID (www.vandenhul.com) loudspeaker cables and I really had to go trought my entire CD collection again.... and again. Amazing the clarity, staging and accuracy.
If you can get your hands on two of these beauties.... go for it!

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Submitted by Eric Teasley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow, what wonderful monitor louds. I'll post more thoughts when I've had more time with them. Until then, I'll be listening to them carefully

Purchased At:   Ebay