Mission 735 Floorstanding Speakers

3 way, ported loudspeakers

Submitted by TIM a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought these for £200 and was excited as I love Mission speakers generally and this was huge over 1m tall. However I was really dissapointed on initial listening and noted the harsh treble as commented in other reviews. This doesn't make my Denon F10 system shine but for the price it is probably worth 4 stars. However, it does occasionally produce spine tingling realism for that reason I have held onto these. My suspicion is that these will really sing with higher end seperates but for average or mid range hi-fi proably buy only if you are able to hear them beforehand. By the way, the bass on this despite the size is very tame and much too controlled. I disagree here, with the other reviews.

Submitted by Ian Wilkinson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
For recommended retail price it does not quite deliver, however for $500 still a very good speaker, probably best suited to dance / house music, although competent across the board, however probab a lot of competition with newer models out now!!!

Submitted by Roy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
First of all, my system:

Amp: Kenwood KA-V7700 Dolby pro-logic
CD: Pioneer CDM-703 (6 cd-changer) and Philips CD-603
Front speakers: Mission 735
Center: IQ Ted 5.1
Rear: Mission 760i
I'm looking for a better cd player now. Probably a Marantz.
(CD-17)

The bass of these 735 is excellent. Deep, responsive and not too much bass. The tweeter also sounds like it should be. Maybe a bit harsh, but I like the overall sound of the tweeter. Untill now it would have been 5 stars. But then
the mid. When compared to my center the mids are not bright enough. Especialy vocals don't sound "live". This is the reason why I listen most music in Dolby 3 channel mode.

Overall the speaker isn't to bad at all.

Submitted by Cheung Zeeman a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
So many weakness commented, it don't worth to get five stars but I've still given, WHY? Because it costed me only HK$2,800 (US$1 = HK$7.753) 6 months ago to get this pair of Floor-standing mission for my new AC3/DTS System.

This Mission is really musical and better than my 4343 so far since the 4343 is a MONITOR acting as an expert for the work of performance monitoring but not musical enough! Base is deep and dynamic but aware of boomy since it has two drivers for Low frequency, so space must be taken into consideration before deciding to own a pair of this mission.

The moment for this mission started singing, it really made me disappointed as it performed really bad overall, there were no details; no soundstage; harsh treble; missing mid-high; but still very powerful enough to shake my AV Room (NO Subwoofer installed).

The sound from this mission became listenable in 2 months' run-in period (around 200 hrs). It is now the 6th month that working with my AV system and it has done a very well job so far. If you've already owned a pair of 73 series Mission, please be patient to run your mission for a longer period before having your final judgement.

Unfortunately, it is rarely low in it's sensitivity (around 85db) and so, Tube Power Amplifier is not recommended. Transistor made Power Amplifier with higher Power Output (>100W RMS) would be more appropriate for this mission.

This speaker is highly recommended for Audio Enthusiast but NOT an Audiophile. Especially for someone who wants high quality sound played from one pair of speakers for both CDs and Movies without setting up two pairs for them. (Trust me, it is absolutely better than all Tannoy Mercury series).

Floor-stander selling at this Price, What else do you want?

The Partners for my Mission 735i (Spike installed):

AV Amplifier : SONY STR-V929X
DVD Player and CD Transport : Pioneer DV-515
DAC : Alchemist TS-D-1/MF X-DAC
Digital Cable : Synestic Research Video 1
Analogue Cable : Audiocraft
Speaker Cable : Bi-wired (MIT + Denko Dragon)