Mission 704 Floorstanding Speakers

4.44/5 (39 Reviews) MSRP : $875.00

Submitted by Lazlo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2016

Bottom Line:
I've had a pair of these since 2002, they're one of the very few components I've ever bought new. Paid £200. Were bought for loud music, nowadays used for 60/40, movies/music.

I've used these speakers through all the time I've had them with lots of different amps, a couple of 80's Technics A class, a Marantz 2226b and others. Now they're running off an Arcam AVR300 with bi-wiring to the tweeters and mids and sub-out to the built in amps low level inputs.

I like really like them but haven't had much to compare them to them to as I've only just recently got space to have another setup. One thing I will say is they come alive at high volume. Listening to them quietly is almost frustrating as it seems like they're just not in their stride, details seem to get lost but once you crank up the power they really kick.

I'm into metal and a bit of hip hop. My better half plays soul, rock and some funk. They do sound good with all of it but the harder the music the better (maybe that's just me though..)

I can't see them being ever being replaced as our cinema speakers but I will get something a bit more delicate for my lovely old 2226b/CD104 combo when I recommission them. The Missions are pretty brutal but can do gentle sometimes, put it this way, if I can only have one pair of speakers it will be them. They just go loud so well!

Submitted by eastangliauk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2016

Bottom Line:
I picked up a pair mission 704a speakers just the other week.
Though they are now old the condition is all good and the sound is great.
you can have as much bass as you need because being active helps with power so not need as powerful l amp such as my 2310 avr.
These are great for both music and movies.
I also have some mission 700 speakers for 7.1

Submitted by Jonny Svendsgard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2014

Bottom Line:
I think this is a very good product. The sound is amacing for almost any type of music and it plays well in all levels. Unfortunately I have got a damage to one of the bass elements, near the centre of the bass element. I have problems finding shops on the net who have these elements in stock, so I would really appriciate if anyone have an idea to were I can buy a new or used element.

Submitted by Bru Newhall a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
Just bought a set of these second hand for £112. I`m adding to the wealth of good reviews already given to help any potential second hand buyers. Picked them up this morning, got home and decided to play some house music and see what they can do. I have an 85 watt/ch rotel amp, very heavy duty cable and a laptop. Once the music was playing I turned my amp up a third, bass is warm and engaging, mids are good but not amazing, treble is very sharp (I had to wind the treble down a bit). At two thirds of the way round the dial they really started to lay down some serious sound, and my little girl began to cry that her ears were hurting. All of my music is digital format these days, the 704s sounded amazing, far better than the kef Q90 floorstanders they are replacing (also very good speakers). If you can find a pair buy them, these are extremely good speakers. My amp isnt big enough to really push these missions, However, I will be upgrading soon. Love em.

Submitted by Charlie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Bottom Line:
I recently acquired a pair of 704's for the paltry sum of $80. I buy and then re-sell previously owned audio equipment for a living. Within my personal collection are a set of 761i's and a pair of Model 70 MKII's. I found both of these for ridiculously low prices, gave them an audition and opted to keep them. Well, they must br pretty good, huh? That they are. So when I happened upon the 704's I had pretty high expectations. They did not disappoint. Despite their years, they still sound fantastic. They don't go quite as low as I would like, but isn't that what powered subs are for anyway? What they do produce, about 40HZ and up is most delightful. Great presence, a very broad sound stage, and extraordinary imaging are among their strengths. The only true drawbacks are their sheer mass (pretty large, especially when they on par in terms of performance with my Paradigm Monitor 7 v.3's - but about 20% percent larger), they are placement critical. One jsimply cannot set these just anywhere and get the best they are capable of delivering. The really need to be out in the open. Don't even think about stuffing them in a corner - this really limits what the listener will hear. Bite the bullet and walk around them if you have to, but get them away from walls and corners. I love pairing these up with the other Mission, the BA's, Paradigms, and RBH's I keep in my personal stash of goodies. Nothing I presently own put them to shame in anyway. Extremely versatile, too. I tend to throw everything I like at them. Hardcore rock n' roll? No problem. Jazz? Not bad at all. Full orchestration works? They love it. Don't know how they would handle hip-hop or rap. They'll never go there as long as I own them, so who cares? Neither are music anyway, are they? Yep, so very pleased I found these. Don't know I would have wanted to get them if I had to pay the cost of new, though. Oh, I'm sure they were worth it. I'm just not willing to pay that much (nor can I actually afford to). $80 I can afford, and boy did I get my money's worth.