Mirage Loudspeakers OM-5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $3499.00

Omnipolar floorstanding 3-way speakers. 1" tweeter, 4" mid, dual 8" active (250W/speaker) woofers.

Submitted by Joe MacDonald a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I mostly use my OM-5 for home theater.Like other reviews,the OM-5 needs a lager room(2 feet behide and 3 feet to the side)I have the whole Mirage OM theater set-up(OM-5,OM2,BPS-400 and the rears)In a 600sqfoot room the sound image is a treat.The sound is great for movies and music,i find myself listening for hours on end.The bottom end takes a bit time and listening to get right,as well the speakers love the power.My poineer elite vsx-49tx at 160 watts per channel,just did not have enough power.So a Bryston 4B SST was added (bi-wire the hi and the lo)this put it over the goal line.Jazz and 70's rock comes alive. I'am very happy with what the OM-5 do for me and look forward to years of good listening.

Purchased At:   hi-fi sound

Submitted by Elex Minilao a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have used the speakers (Mirage Om-5s) for a few months now and they are totally satisfying. Full range sound, highs, mids and lows are fully represented. Omnipolar is convincing and full of life. I have a huge family/combo ht room with which to fill. To top it off the room has no backwall as it continues on to a kitchen area. I am using OM-5 front left and right, OM-C2 center speaker. Since I have no backwall and wife didn't want floor speakers in the back, I opted for celing speakers - NHT 6.3 (3 tweeters each!) for left, right, and left right back surrounds. Mirage BPS210 subwoofer. Receiver is a Denon 5803. I love the setup. The NHT 6.3s can easily be timmbre matched to the OM-5s thanks to Denon's 5803 channel setup capabilities. Woo-HoO!

Submitted by subcollector a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
As a followup to my earlier review, I felt the bass on the OM-5 was simply too overwhelming. I found out that Mirage had a fix. They modified the bass amps to smooth out the bass. The amps on my speakers were retrofited and now the bass is tuned properly.

Purchased At:   Audio Video Solution

Submitted by subcollector a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
A hidden gem in the world of Audio. Wonderful sound. Great soundstage and definition. Fabulous bass. The service provided by the manufacture is unbeatable. I had my speakers for one hour when both bass amps died. The distributors representative came to my home and replaced both amps.

The equipment that I use with the OM-5 speakers are:

Cardas Cabling throughout

Purchased At:   Audio Video Solution

Submitted by Dave Kay a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Mirage OM-C2, as it isnt listed yet. What a phenominal speaker. I was originally leaning towards Definitive Technology, I liked their powered sub center speakers because my old Advent had to be set as a small speaker (80hz cut off) which robbed it of any real impact and depth. I drove an hour to the closest Definitive dealer, only to find a sign that said "hours by appointment only". I wasnt going to drive 6 hours to New York City and back, so I went to the local Tweeter and auditioned the Vienna and Mirage. An interesting comparo because these two speakers are exact opposites. The Vienna at 1100 dollars and a very tight and restricted sound stage that seemed to disappear with one step to the right or left. The 750 dollar Mirage on the other hand was wide and open, its bass was fuller than the Vienna, and its midrage was warmer and more pleasant. I also listened to the Vienna Floorstanders and the Mirage OM-5s. No contest Mirage hands down, at a thousand dollars less in price. The Viennas were dull and flat, while the OM's really filled the room with sound, even just setup as a stereo pair. I'll be purchasing a pair of them myself sometime in the future.

Purchased At:   Tweeter