McIntosh LS310 Floorstanding Speakers

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Bookshelf speaker

Submitted by Allan Teo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
I picked up this pair of speaker used at $1000 and I got a big surprise .....It was the most musical speaker I even owned. Singing is so natural and clear and real. I only used british integrated and CD player and they already sounded so good,

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
These are fantastic bookshelves that are well worth picking up used. They have only a little of the "Live" feel I've heard in larger speakers in the $1000+ per range, but they still sound fantastic. The major shortcoming is that they can't handle loud, deep, seat of the pants bass. The bass is extremely tight, they just don't go down to 20 and will distort with super low-bass at high volumes. Those are the weaknesses. Everything else is their strength. They really sound wonderful.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Jason Wittington a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
McIntosh is the speaker of all speeakers. Their unique build quality provides them with the best sound on the earth. Definitely worth every penny, and they are built to last!!!

Submitted by Bill Conley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm beginning my quest towards audiophilehood. Anyway, I found a pair of McIntosh LS310s on the used market. I upgraded from a pair of KLH 71s. Certainly a big improvement in a much smaller package. Granted I miss the big bass sound, but these are bookshelf sized speakers, and my expectations were lower than the speaker produced. I am happy with the overall sound. However, in listening to my 1955 recording of Bach's Goldberg variations performed by Gleen Gloud. I was very disapointed at how much buzz there was on the recording. I can hardly stand to listen to one of my favorite CDs. A digitally reworked version also exists, so I will have to invest there.
I quickly discovered that the buzz was not completely due to a bad CD. In listening to Ravel's Bolero I found similar results. The KLHs are much better at bringing down the buzz level.
In examining these speakers with HDCD recordings the result is fantastic. I sat virtually mesmerized by the sound coming out of these small speakers. The soundstaging and imagining are very good, as are most speakers which retail for ~1300.
Anyway, 4 stars due to their inability to hide any buzz.

Submitted by Mike a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 1998

Bottom Line:
LS310 Bookshelf system. Walnut or black ash finish. 2-way system with 8" LD/HP woofer and 1" aluminum dome tweeter. Resetting solid state
protection. Crossover at 2500Hz. Terminals for bi-amp/bi-wire. Impedance
4 ohms. Output 84dB @1w/1m [87dB @ 2.83v]. Power rating 200w. Size
18-1/2"H, 10-1/2"W and 10-1/2"D. Weight 24.5 lb.
these speakers sound excellent, I did a spectograph of their freq. with pink noise CD test disc and they are better than McIntosh rates them with frequency. Highs are excellent, mid range and image excellent and bass is good and suprising for a bookshelf speaker. Check out this speaker!!!!!!