MB Quart QL S530 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $799.00

Submitted by uncle bruno a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are a pleasant surprise. Returning to stereo after trying surround, I needed to trade in, & the only local "high end" place in town that takes trades has few brands, & I settled on these. These sound great, but keep in mind the low impedance (4 ohm) & low sensitivity (85db) when powering them. I use a Marantz SR4120 stereo rcvr that is ok for 4 ohm spkrs as long as you don't use the A & B spkrs at the same time. I get plenty of volume for listening area of approx 20' X 15' w/the volume at a max of about 10 o'clock w/cassettes & less than that for CD. I contacted cust support re the frequency range, since it's not listed in the usual +/- 3db range, & the first reply was erroneous, claiming that spkr frequency ranges are not reported in that way. So I sent a polite reply explaining the obvious, & a few days later, I got a response stating that the responder "asked an engineer" & "the figures are +/- 3db". I took that to be a stock reply (wait a few days to make it seem like you've researched it & then tell 'em what they want to hear). However, I am not upset with the sound, just the cust srvc response. The highs & mids are wonderful, & the bass is great until you encounter the limits of its capacity (specs say 44hz), when it gets a little muddy, but it's still very good for a bookshelf speaker. I haven't heard the new Polk LSi 7 & LSi 9, but they seem to be the same type of spkr & same price range, so give these a try if you can still find them & you are considering the Polks. Nice looking, with a glass panel that fits on top, apparently to allow you to put things on there w/out staining or scratching the cabinet. If their other home speakers are like this, don't dismiss MB Quart as "just" car audio.

Purchased At:   Paragon A/V

Submitted by I.M. Outthere a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
No doubt about it, the techs at MB Quart did their homework. Exellent drivers connected by a refined crossover work to deliver music. If I had auditioned this speaker blind, I would have guessed I was listening to a high dollar self-amplified studio monitor. A nice even response, no glare in any one freaquency band. You name it, it does it: males voices, female voices, instruments, sound effects, etc. Where are all the press reports on this gem? Do the folks at MB Quart know how good this speaker is?

Submitted by Kram Rebbew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
My wife and I have been auditioning speakers for about three months. Our aim is to get as much bang for the buck in a loudspeaker for under 1K. We've listened to Snell, Monitor, Magnepan, Mission, B&W, PSB, Ruark, Linn, Acoustic Energy, and Dynaudio. Exausting, but necessary. In two cases, the first impression was compelling -- the Linn Tukan and the MB Quart audition. Both speakers are now at the top of the list.

Being former Quart owners from the 80's, we were reticent to hear these. That old titanium tweeter would run us out of the room in less than half an hour. My, how times have changed. Simply put, the revised crossover, evolved components, and better cabinet design have yielded a speaker that literally trashes most competition, and simply embarrasses a number of more expensive speakers -- B&W Matrix series (all of them), for example. We played Holly Cole, Johnny Cash (Unchained), and some George Thorogood, just for kicks. We heard real music, true emotion, and great control.

I've recommended these to a number of my co-workers. My compliments to the engineers at MB Quart.

Submitted by Ken Warhover a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
These are simply the best bookshelf speakers on earth under $1000. Probably better than ones costing more. I Paid $750 for the pair. These sound much better than the models they replaced. No other speaker I compared approched MB Quart's combination of dynamic sound and crystal clear reproduction of Hi Mid and Lo frequencies. You don't just hear a piano note, you year the hammer hit the strings. If you crank up a tune with a funky baseline, the bass doesn't muddy-up the sound of the snare drum brushes. B&W models I compared were slightly more dynamic on bass, but too warm on mid and high freq. Especially on vocals. NHT was ok on low sounds, but too tinny on high freq, It made vocals sound slightly sibilant. The closest runner-up to the MB quart was the lowly 350 dollar PSB 300i and 400i. Some others were slightly better than the PSBs but cost much more. For the money, the PSB speakers have everyone beat. But I could not resist the spectacular sound of the Quarts even at twice the price.