Martin Logan Quest Floorstanding Speakers

4.3/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $4295.00

Submitted by The Budman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you LOVE music these are the speakers for you. The lushness & depth of field are just incredible. When auditioning speakers I had settled on either the Logan Sequels or Definitive Tech. BP-3000. I stumbled upon a great deal on some floor model Quests that I couldn't pass. The determining factor between the two speakers was my taste of listening. As I stated before, I LOVE music. Have ever since I was a kid. If the persons that gave the low rating are more interested in movies I can see why they gave the rating they did. I don't feel the Quests alone can deliver the punch needed for movie watching. Even though they are rated below 30hz, the just don't have the punch when watching a scene such as the train derailment from The Fugitive. It does sound good, but needs a sub to give them that extra punch. Power is also a concern. They need lots. I have an Aragon 8000ST driving these bad boys and they eat it up. Long story short, if you like listening to tunes they can't be beat (except maybe by the Logan Statements). If you want them for movies, get a good sub to go along with them.

Purchased At:   Audible Elegance

Submitted by Jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I reviewed this previously. Some are critical of the bass produced here. If that's true..CHANGE YOUR CABLES. They make a big difference in the bass. Tekline solid silver work beautifully for me. You also cannot cheat on other components. These spekers will ruthlessly show up inferior components.

Also, try adjusting placement. Since they radiate bi-directionally, it will affect bass as well as other frequencies.

This is one of the finest speakers in the world. Anyone who would rate them one or two stars is not an audiophile, and must not understand what they are doing.

Submitted by robert persson a

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
best speaker so far cleanest purest sound ceep them to death you need a bigg room placement is evrything if the build in woofer is boomy placement is wrong or mayby jour room is too small or mayby the room creaates standing vaves i love these martin logans lissning too guitarr strings who needs moore detail martin logan quest forever

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Old Ag a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Quest Z tuned out to be a disappointment, even after weeks of experiementation on placement.

The electrostatic element produces a very nice upper end.

The bass response is largely non-existent unless the pre-amp's tone controls are used. But using the tone control to boost the bass produces a muddy effect. The lack of clarity in the lower end is a killer for me.

Submitted by Khoo Quentin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I first got the Quest playing it in my living room sucks !! compared to my Monitor Audio Gold Reference Speakers. The reason I bought these speakers is because I wanted a bigger soundstage sound in my living room. However, I was greatly dissappointed. Althought the highs and mid-range we great... the bass was muddy and too boomy. I was then told that my room was too live and need more damping material. After spending 4,000 on carpets and professional damping materials, this still did not work. I then move the speakers to my room and in a more controlled environment and still it did not work. I was about give up trying to solve the bass problem. Then someone recommended me the BBE Sonic Maximiser to be introduced into my system and now the sound sounds great. The BBE Sonic Maximiser is truly the professional sound processor that can make any speaker sound great. When I say any... I mean especially the Martin Logans !!!

As for the Martin Logans.... they are more hype than anything. Martin Logan should look into giving people more options than just a -3db switch. I know the Request is an upgrade from the Quest because of this problem of bass. They are great for their highs and mid range but they can't get their time bass alignment right and therefore the bass is out of control. I would not recommend Martin Logan to first time buyers... you will regret buying them as they require specific placing and alot of experimentation before they sound great. You are better off with conventional speakers.