Magnepan Magneplanar MG20 and 20.1 Floorstanding Speakers

Planar Magnetic Dipole

Submitted by tapsa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
Maggie 20.1 is "best buy"this price gategory.

Submitted by tapani lappi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
Best speaker this price gategory

Submitted by mitchchavis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'll admit upfront that Magnepans are my favorite speakers. My love affair started when I went to the Gifted Listener in Virginia to listen to the Thiel 3.6 speakers. They had just received the Magnepan 3.6 speakers and I had the opportunity to listen to them driven by a Levinson 335 amp and an Ayre V1 amp. I thought they were the most natural sounding speakers I'd heard so despite the 3 month waiting period I ordered them the same day. I owned them for 6 years and I went through many other brands during that time. I had an opportunity to purchase a pair of B&W Nautilus 800 Signatures which retailed for $20K and reluctantly sold the Magnepan 3.6's. After a year with the B&W's I decided to order the Magnepan 20.1's. I've been using them for a couple of months now and all I can say is they are the best speakers I've had the opportunity to own or listen to. I've owned many speakers over the years and I can say that the 20.1's are simply the most enjoyable speakers I've listened to. They are the most natural sounding speakers and the soundstage is simply superb. The only caveat is they will not shine in a small room. They need space to really open up. I would also recommend a fairly high powered amp. I've used a Mark Levinson 336 and currently I'm using a Musical Fidelity kW500 integrated amp(a truly excellent piece in my opinion).

Purchased At:   Pearl Audio in Portl

Submitted by malus15 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
World class speaker! I started with the 1.6's without hearing them. I bought the 20.1's a year later without hearing them either. It's like driving a world class sports car... you don't need to test drive it to know that you will like it.

I'm driving them with a Bryston 4bsst, and they need another one. I started driving them with 300 wpc, went up to 500 with a noticable difference... If you can't afford good equipment and don't have a good sized room, do yourself a favor and get another model. Mine are in a 22'x14' room and that's pushing it. My screen is 7' so my speakers are only 1' or so from the side walls.

This is the last speaker for me.

Purchased At:   The Natural Sound

Submitted by Jesse111 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
Nothing to say that others haven't. Simply astounding. Realism beyond anything I've ever heard. No fatigue no matter how long I listen. Bass is just incredible. Accurate music reproduction beyond belief.