Magnepan Magneplanar MG 12 Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (53 Reviews) MSRP : $1195.00

Submitted by Volker Weber a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Bottom Line:
I read so many about the MG 12 wich makes me wonder if there is more than one model... . Can't be that everyone write about the same speaker. My MG 12's are perfect in musicreproduction. Even the bass is like true. Not so noisy and dump like from a boxspeaker.
I have used Canton Ergo passiv, JBL L90, ALR Jordan Note 5, Mirage MRM 1, Zingali Prelude .4, but only the MG12 was good enough to stay.
If you have a problem with it, it's only from your amp or player.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by weaver a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought these about four months ago after hearing a lot about them and then finding my local dealer. I must have spent 2hrs listeining to various models in the showroom including the 3.6's and was so impressed. I was a little nervous about how the 12's would sound in my home but the dealer offered to let me try them with no risk so what the heck! Anyway, got them home and hooked them up to my system(5.1 with anthem mrx500 receiver, anthem mca2 to drive fronts and a polk audio psw10). I had been using a vintage pair of Yamaha NS-690 which were very dynamic, accurate and really didn't need a sub. I first put the maggies on either side of my 52"tv about two feet off the back wall. I sit about 10ft away. From here I was very disappointed-I just wasn't getting the depth and width of soundstage I had heard in the shop even though everything else was pretty good(although I found the sub muddied the mids and highs and preferred it off). I experimented with different positions and eventually found the "sweet" spot. The speakers are now approx 3ft on either side of the tv and approx 1.5ft in front of it and canted in towards the listening position. They sound awesome now! I was reasonably pleased with the bass even as is with the polk off(the mid bassof the maggies is just so clear, accurate and articulated) but eventually replaced my polk with a martin logan dynamo(10in) that I picked up on ebay and now it's GREAT-a major improvement over the polk! In home theatre it's crazy too-I literally jumped at some gunshots in a Breaking Bad episode on blu ray! So, even though esthetically the maggies are not in my ideal spot I can easily return them besdie the tv when not usiong them because they're so light-this is a major advantage over the martin logams with the integrated subs. Another fantastic thing I've noticed about the maggies which I hadn't anticipated is that they mnaintain their characteristics right down to ridiculously low listeing volumes. I rent out my basement so if I don't want to bother them late at night I just turn off the sub and turn doen the volume and I'm still very pleased! I actually had to turn off the furnace one night because I had the volume so low that the furnace was louder! I am very pleased with these and don't foresee changing them fro a long time(prob when I turn the basement opt into a listening room). I am sitting relatively close to these and they have walls right beside them and I definitely get the sense that they would benefit from more "space".

Submitted by Still Cruising a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
What level of performance can inexpensive subwoofers provide to the MG 12?

The MG 12s are some of the best sounding speakers I have ever listened to. They are capable of providing highly detailed musical sound with a 3 dimenisonal quality few speakers can approach. After listen to them, one can only imagine the potential of what the more expensive model would do! Given their high quality sound, they seem like the perfect speakers to test subwoofers with.

The MG 12s, as full range speakers, do have their limitations. They have very little mid or low bass output and also seem to hit a brick wall at a volume level of say 6, with 10 representing the loudest level that my Polk SRS 2.3 would play at without distortion. The MG 12s don't distort at high volume, but any further increase provides no further gains. It's like having a Corvette that can accellerate fast, but is speed limited at 85 mph. Can a subwoofer (or two) help? The following subwoofer combinations were setup to accompany the Maggies.

Polk PSW10 ($199, could be had as a throw-in promotion with a pair of Polk speakers, or recently on-sale at Fry's for $88):

This subwoofer is relatively small and lightweight, and very low end. Is there anything in it? Well guess what? This little 10 inch, 50 watt sub goes low and totally compliments the fast transients of the MG 12s. A very musical combination with great integration between the sub and the main speakers. Test tones show that the system's bass extends solidly down to 31 hz with lower level output still at 25hz. Amazing from a cheap sub.

AudioSource 15 inch ported no model name Subwoofer (was available from Costco at one time in the distance past):

This cheap subwoofer was a real surprise. It provided a quantity of bass the little PWS10 could only hint at. It made the system sound robust and muscular. It liked being chranked up and it really rocked out! Bass extension was gratifying low with even better output below 31hz. Still, the memory of the quality of the bass from the little PSW10 showed that the AudioSource was quite as fast in the transients. The AudioSource was satifying nevertheless for different characteristics. Without any comparsion, it's sound was gratifyingly good.

AudioSource 15 inch + two PWS10s:

Did I tell you I brought a PWS10 to play together with the free PWS10 I recieved as a promotion? So a tower of three subs. Could be promising right? Well not really. I could not get the sound from the different size subs to integrate. Not surprising considering their difference sound characteristics. So guess what's next?

Two Polk PWS10s on the floor:

This is the hot cheap ticket! Two 10 inch cones have the same radiating area as one 15 inch cone. In this case the sound output of the dual Polks confirms this and then some. There seems to be no sonic downsides, but only improves on all of the attributes of the single sub setup. It is the best of both worlds. Additional bass weight, fast transients, musicality that redefined the limits of the MG 12s. The subs just disappeared as a sound source. That these bottom end Polk subs have the ability to mesh with the ultra fast Magnepans is astonishing. They are real sleepers. They make the Magnepans sound hugely powerful for very little money.

Humm, at an affordable price of $88 each, one can only wonder what a four sub array would sound like? Actually, a two by two array is rather compact and would have the benefit of providing a large aggregate radiating front face.

Martin Logan Abyss - Too tired to test now.....

The dual PWS10s are soooo well matched to the MG12s that it is hard for me to imagine what greater improvements the fine Martin Logan subwoofer could bring. Just going on the Abyss's performance in my other systems, I think that the Polks have the edge on transient speed but the Abyss will undoubtedly go lower. Will the Abyss be as musical? There is no doubt that one on one, the Abyss with play louder than the cheap Polk. Given the retail price different, the dual Polks should not even be in the same ballpark.

Further thoughts:

I tried the sub combinations with other main speakers. The subs enhancements were similar in character with different mains.

For these subwoofers, the speaker grilles really constrict and muffle the sound. I ran all the subs with the grilles off.

The subwoofer placement requires much experimentation to be optimized. The dual Polks sounded rather dull until I did a final tweek of rotating them one whole inch! They literally snapped into focus and became much more focused, dynamic, and powerful sounding.

The subs integrated well located to the side of the main speakers along a wall with their cones facing toward the main speakers. I suspect that given a choice, a sub would sound better with direct radiation inlieu of floor reflected positioning. Something to experiment with in your own system.

The idea of getting two matched subs was to have the ability to run stereo subwoofers. However, it is very possible that the best location for the sub is not where the LR speakers are located. Nevertheless, there are potential benefits to using two subs when the cones are only 10 inches.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by PPP a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I just listened to kef's Muon's with Leema gear. (+ 140.000,- EURo's!!)At home i recently bought magnepan mg12's with a rel storm III.
My magnepan's sounded more musical...I can't believe my ears; they sounded better to my ears than those muon's. I never go back to box/conus-speakers anymore.
With the magnepan's there is no boxiness. The planers are detailed, livelike and musical.
They have got the same big soundfield as the Kef Muons. With the subwoofer they are just as dynamic and punchy. They sound seamless. I had kef c75 in the past and liked them a lot but with these Magnepans i ended my quest for audionirvana. Audionirvana is right here now in my room!!
Do yourself a favour and buy these speakers when you get a change. They sell secondhand for very little money.
This is unbelievable for the money....I find myself listening to music again (and not to gear)

Submitted by TWJones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
There's really no point to writing this review: It has all been said before. But what the heck. I have been searching for just the right system since 1976, when I spent $60 saved up from my 10th birthday and mowing lawns to buy a Montgomery Wards phono-only stereo and a copy of Sgt Pepper's. Been through a lot of what most here would call midfi gear since, trying to find the right balance of thrills and cost. From Pioneer SX-5 when I went away to school, mated to wonderful EPI 100s two-way speakers, to my retro-analog kick of a few years back using vintage silver-faced gear with Wharfedale Emeralds. Been through a lot of changes in musical tastes, too. Classic rock, punk, New Wave, Be-Bop, Electronica, Classical, and now mostly baroque, with some Van Morrison and the occasional rip through Elbvis Costello's This Year's Model to clean out the tubes. Always wanted a pair of Maggies, but multiple stints abroad, then little children, made it seem rather foolish once I finally could afford them. They were just so COOL for a kid raised in the 70's on Audio and Stereo Review. When I was in my 20's and in NYC I used to stop by a little shop on the Upper East Side just to hear them one more time, sorry dude, not buying today, do you mind?

Well, my youngest is now 4 and knows not to put his hand through the speaker grills anymore. So I did some research and through Audiogon bought some just-broken in 12QRs and an Acurus A200 amp for about a grand and retired my Wharfedale RB-27s (a very pleasant three-way tower), discovering in the process that the slight rattle from the right speaker I thought I could discern was caused by a shockingly large collection of Thomas the Tank Engine wooden coaches, not the onset of senility. Seems little Owen's favorite hiding spot was the rear firing bottom port. Cost of the speakers on Ubid a few years back? $300. My four-year-old's feigned, protesting innocence - who, me? - as his slightly older brother pulled out one lost treasure after another? Priceless.

Product model year:   2008